Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tunesman22
    • Oct 2003

Can't write files to my dvd-rw drive

I have a Sony computer that I bought last summer that came with a combination dvd/cd writable drive. I've always been able to write file to a cd-r or cd-rw disc, but just recently, I thought I'd try to see if I could write files to a blank dvd+rw. I put a dvd+rw in the drive, tried loading some simple files to it, just like I would if I were loading them onto a cd-rw, but unfortunately, was unable. The reason I want to do this is because I have some folders that have files in them that I want to backup to disc, but the folders are too big to put on a single cd-rw, that's why I thought about a dvd+rw because of the fact that they have 4.7 gigs of space on them, kind of like a mini hard drive.
    Anyway I was unable for some reason to acomplish this. I at first wondered if I had the wrong type of disc, (a dvd+rw), so I took them back to the store and got a refund. I have not as yet picked up a package of dvd-rws, but plan to soon. My question is; why wasn't I able to write these files onto the blank dvd+rw? Do I need special software to do this? The only software I have on my programs are only for burning video onto the dvd drive, not simple files. My OS is Window XP. The model of my dvd drive is a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R5002.
    If anyone can help me find the right software to do this, I would be very much appreciative. Thanks for the help.

Tunesman22.
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

From what you say "....dvd-rom drive.", you do not nave a dvd writer. A DVD rom drive is a reader only.

If you have been burning DVD movies on a DVD, do post, as You did not state whether the DVD burning software came with your computer from the factory.

You need a DVD burner to burn DVD's. Is either of your drives a DVD burner, your post is somewhat unclear as you claim a combination dvd/cd writeable and also a DVD Rom device.

Post which drive(s) you do have and their brand and model.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Tunesman22
      • Oct 2003

I have not used my DVD/CD drive to record DVDs, only CDs. To my knowledge, my DVD drive does have the capability to record onto a DVD. The programs I have listed for it are: "Click to DVD", "Cyberlink Power DVD" and DVgate Plus. I have accessed the "Click to DVD" program and it does make provision for burning DVDs, but as far as loading simple data files onto the blank DVD-RW I recently purchased, I'm having no luck.
      When I click onto "My Computer", the DVD icon reads as "DVD-RW Drive". When I load a blank DVD-RW to the drive and try to write files to it, a sign comes up and says, "Insert a blank CD into the drive". I'm sure that my drive can write information onto a blank DVD, but I think that I just need the right software to do it.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tunesman22.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

Tunesman22,

Hi,

Yeah, that's why I asked as I did as it is not unusual for the O.S. to sometimes report a dvdrw drive as a dvd rom drive and even to report a dvdrom drive as a dvdrw drive (sometimes files deleted, softwares, etc. cause such).

The "Insert a blank cd...." can also happen when you have a dvdrw drive with a 4Gig file or a cdrw drive with 4 Gig to write). So, since you did not re-identify the drive as a dvdrw (from original identification as a dvdrom drive "Toshiba DVD ROM..."), the only reasonable conclusion is that you have a read only dvd drive (unless you mis-identified the offending drive).

If you are sure as to the identity of the drive as stated in an earlier post as a dvd rom drive, you will need to buy a dvd writer if you want to write 4 Gig files, unless you want to write them to cd's.

The drive makers have been constantly releasing different type drives and to some their spec.'s capabilities is confusing. Do a simple 'net search for Toshiba's site and search for your drives spec.'s and unless Toshiba's site is wrong, you should then know if the unit will write dvd's, or not.

If you are to buy a dvd writer (especially for quality dvd movie back-ups), an OEM 107 (A07 spec.'s) Pioneer is a reasonable choice. If it's files only, go cheap at a store that will refund with no problem.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

Tunesman, there's a subtle hint as to the capabilities of your drive in your first post - combination.
          These are invariably a CD writer combined with a DVD player.
          A DVD writer writes both so therefore doesn't get the distinction between the two.
          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• joegib
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Dec 2001

The Toshiba SD-5002 is a DVD-R/RW drive -- see specs here:

It won't write to DVD+R/+RW disks because it's not designed for that format (it can read +R disks according to the review, though). Suggest you get some DVD-R/-RW disks and see how you get on.

Comment

• Tunesman22
              • Oct 2003

I bought some DVD-RW discs and tried to write files to them, but as I mentioned, a sign came up that said, "Insert a CD-RW into the drive". I posted this same question in another forum and it was suggested to me that I purchase a software by Roxio who's version is called, "Drag & Drop". Anyone heard of this software, and would it work for what I need to do?
              Thanks for the help.

Tunesman22.

Comment

• Mig$y
                Retired
                • Jan 2004

Try Nero.
                I've got a Toshiba DVD-R/RW and it works a peach.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jan 2004

Yeah, your first post identifies the Toshiba dvd drive as a rom drive. A rom drive is a reader only. Your identification of your dvd drive as a ROM Drive said that your drive doesn't write DVD's. Your "bad", but no bigee. For the viewer's understanding, There are dvd rom drives with cdrw capability or is it there are cdrw's with dvd rom capabilities, anyhow, we now have supposedly identified the dvd drive as in "fact" as a dvdrw drive which will write -R and -RW discs. That said..........

The article about the Toshiba drive did state there was problems with the drive's retail software package, since yours was a Sony installed drive....have you download and installed the latest windows updates? Windows update site will scan your computer for drives, devices, cards, etc. and offer you updated drivers, etc. to download and windows will automatically install them. A re-boot is usually needed...sometimes 2 or more re-boots if there are many updates. There is still the question that windows (without an update or SP1) is falsely identifying the drive. It is a good idea for windows update to scan your computer and the dvd drive. Also there is a firmware update, you might need the firmware update also! The firmware update is @ Toshiba's website.

My Xp system will automatically write files to my dvd discs without any commercial software except XP. This is true with the Pioneer 104 and the new Pioneer 106, Though the article writer couldn't get a Pioneer A05 to write files, I have gotten an older Pioneer to do so and you have the Toshiba with opposite problem, how funny about that article writer (not you). We post to help and we also have a little fun, too.

All I do is hover the mouse's pointer over the large file then click, and then right click, then click on Send To, then click on DVDRW Drive and then : X # of minutes later, the multiple Gb file is ready to be written by the dvdrw drive . Xp Can write music cd's, etc. and can also write dvd's, hey there's even an XP movie maker 2 program. Try what I outlined above and see if it works for you, or else there is something about your O.S. that isn't correct (files missing, etc.), or else my O.S. is super duper. Your O.S. alread has SP1 from the factory, doesn't it?

Post if helps or not and we will try to help.

See if the suggestions work and post with results, as refunds on software is mostly difficult.
                  Last edited by Quality's Proof; 10 Feb 2004, 07:10 PM.
                  Rig :

Comment

• Tunesman22
                    • Oct 2003

Update: Someone told me to check out Roxio's Easy CD/DVD Creator 6.0 They said it should help my DVD-RW drive do what I want it to do, so I ordered it and received it a couple of days ago, installed it and tried it out and it did the trick. I decided to try to download a folder that contained a ton of music files onto a blank DVD-RW using Roxio, and it worked great. Every one of the songs in that folder was copied onto the blank DVD-RW, where as before I couldn't even download one single file onto the DVD, whether it was a music file or just a data file.
                    If anyone out there is wanting to do what I've been trying to do with blank DVDs on their computer, try Roxio, it worked for me.
                    Thanks for all the replies.

Tunesman22.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Jan 2004

Still don't understand why XP wouldn't write those files to that DVD blank for you, as Microsoft does say XP does so without any other software needed (not movies, but data files, including songs, also). You still might want to check to see if your O.S. is missing files, etc..
                      Rig :

Comment

• Tunesman22
                        • Oct 2003

I'm not sure why XP wouldn't allow me to do it either, unless maybe I wasn't doing something right, which that could very well have been, but at least with the Roxio software, I can transfer the files now, and that's what I want and I'm happy with that. As I mentioned, I had no problem loading files onto a CD-RW, but those discs don't have the room that a DVD-RW has. I'm not sure, but I think a DVD-RW has at least five times the space that a CD-RW has? The main thing is is that I have plenty of room to back up my files now and I don't have to have a room full of CD-RWs to do it. Thanks again.

Tunesman22.

Comment

Working...