X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

Now, now,.......I've worked on US goverment "projects" and I"m aware of how they are spec.'d, from jet propulsion testing to nuclear sites......., one of our most enjoyable moments was/is to convince some paper pusher to "upgrade" a system to the tune of several to many millions$'s, when some could have solved the problem(s) with a little "elbow-grease" on a particular loose connection(s). Interesting how a loose equipment ground at a particular location can disrupt a device much further down the stream. I prefer quality, also, but I also have top-of-the-line cables and there is no difference which is measurable @ 400% to the unaided eye. On a long cable, the size of the conductor(s) is the limiting value, as longer lengths cause the "pusher" to push harder. The transformer is what, a ~ 10 : 1 or ~ 20 :1? Seems a shielding problem w/transformer.

P.S. The connectivity grease is available also as soldering paste (non corrosive type), the commercial No-Lox? works well, too (but is messy).
    Last edited by Quality's Proof; 12 Feb 2004, 12:58 PM.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

Yes...size and length are very important...and was demonstrated to me when I installed a 2400 Watt DC/AC converter in my motorhome. I was only getting about 600 Watts...and the tech told me to reinstall the box no farther away than one foot from the storage battery...and to use a size wire so large I had to hammer it into the connectors. The change was dramatic...I got the full 2400 Watts ( but I had to fashion a plexiglas door so I could monitor the unit in its new location..in a cabinet on the other side from the battery compartment.) It wasn't computer equipment...but the principle is the same.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

Seems you're a decent bloke, so if you have such a problem again, don't fall for such advise.......run parallel conductors and go up 1 ga. for every 10' - 12' (make sure both ends are "treated" and crimped well). Voltage drop is more dramatic @ DC but DC is cleaner.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

The original position where I had installed the converter was on the wall outside the cabinet using 6' of battery cable. The successful installation used cables 1' in length that were twice as thick. The converter manufacturer's tech rattled off the solution with the guage and length of wire to use as if he had heard my complaint thousands of times. I did have to fashion some doors to monitor the unit and run the plugs for the AC appliances in. I replaced a funky propane/12v fridge with an AC dorm fridge, and was running a freezer I had lashed down in the center aisle on a cross-country trip from South Carolina to Oregon. It worked well until I was in the vacinity of the AFB they use for test flying in southern California (close to the Arizona border.) What the heck kind of communications gear are they screwing with that would shut my converter down?
          Last edited by rsquirell; 12 Feb 2004, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

Southern California is weird in a lot of ways, lots of military installations and all kind of offshore patrols, AWAC's constantly aloft, etc.. Requires lots of shielding in some spots (because of jamming signals, frequencies, etc.). Thin lead sheeting works as a shield.......but, there is also that Very Low Frequency thing, also, you'd have to sheath bottom and put baffles for air ventilation (down-pointing) on side sheets.

Repair shops don't make as much profit from cheap solutions and are instructed to offer expensive solutions for more profit.
            Rig :

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

The problem could be in his audio out wire, too...if it's unshielded...

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

Poster did state that problem didn't seem to happen when laptop was first acquired......so, what's changed? Seems to be a mechanical failure and/or pusher pushed too hard on long path and so problem occurred after a while. Sometimes, the answer is in the question and sometimes, the answer isn't.
                Rig :

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

He hasn't responded for a while. We'll probably find out someone tripped over those long wires and loosened something. Or a cat was playing with them...

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

You know as well as I, that a lot of technicians, commercial software developers, etc., post questions (at various forums) so they can get somebody to figure an answer for them.......didn't think this was such an instance, though.

Could be, we'll have a message from poster soon, though.

You do know that some posters, don't admit what the real problem was, as they are somewhat ashamed they didn't look for the obvious solution before posting and therefore other posters/lurkers are further confused about dvd back-ups, etc., ahhhh honesty, how quick the solutions manifest!...don't think it's so with this poster, though (the misleading, that is).
                    Rig :

Comment

Working...