Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amazonmike
    • Feb 2004

What is the format of digital video?

I would like to experiment with applying some simple signal processing ideas to digital video. I'm working on a Macintosh G5.

I would like to read digital video into a FORTRAN program, do some processing, and then write it back out in the proper format. In order to do this, I need to know the format of digital video. Does anyone know where I can find this information?

Thanks a lot, Mike.
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

What you are talking about is essentially re-mastering a mastered dvd video.

You could try a 'net search about dvd mastering. The Geeks whom do the mastering are the "golden boys" of the dvd movie transfer industry and are really geeked out. Your work would be surprising and who knows, you might figure out something tosimplify things. Do post if you solve something. Some of the posters might help you on some of the fine points.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• amazonmike
      • Feb 2004

Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify, what I want to do is independent of DVD's. In the end, I might want to burn it onto a DVD. However, I want to work with raw digital video. I don't want to work with encoded video. I would have no idea how to do that!

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

It's called "backwards engineering", by some.........copyright your work (if you can), could lead you to a breakthrough........
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

I have no idea what format digtal video is in...but I've seen a lot of Techies referring to "hex editors"...which leads one to believe they're working in some form of assembler. A higher level language (like FORTRAN) would need to be compiled, which would slow it down...but I don't know squat...just thought I'd throw the "hex" reference I've seen in...

Comment

• ChristianHJW
            matroska project member
            • May 2003

Digital video are frames using one of many possible colour spaces, like YUV, YV2 or RGB .... they can come in different containers such as AVI, MOV, MKV ....
            Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

• GRDODD
              • Mar 2004

I would be VERY interested in learning more about this experiment.
              I am always interested in finding better ways to compress video.

Comment

Working...