Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouieLouie
    • Feb 2004

I am lost here......any advice would be great

I am in need of some help. I downloaded DVD encrypter and DVD Shrink V3.1 and everything goes fine till I get to the back up part. I try to record to image recorder but it will not recognize that there is a disk there. Do you need a actual DVD burner or will a CD-RW, DVD Rom work?? I could really use some advice. I also tried the Nero download too and when go to add the files it starts and gets about halfway and locks up the pc. I would appreciate any suggestions or help....thanks

Louie
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

If you are trying to burn a DVD you need a DVD burner. You can copy individual Mpegs or AVI's on a CD...but it will only play on your PC...and the cumulative size of your movies will have to be smaller than the CD capacity. If you have a stand-alone DVD player that will play them, you can make a VCD (MPEG1) or SVCD (MPEG2) on a CD (these formats are limited by the CD's playing time...and not the size.)

Comment

• LouieLouie
      • Feb 2004

Thanks RS

Thanks so much for your help. A friend of mine got the info from screen savers but didnt have a big enough hard drive to try it so I thought that I would for him. He was under the understanding that you could burn dvd's by using those two programs......usually if it sounds to good to be true it is right?? Well, thank you for your quick reply.

Louie

Comment

• Qyd
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Oct 2002

if you just want to try out the programs, try making a <b>mini-dvd</b> (about 20min video), most new stand-alone dvd-players can play a cd-r with dvd-structure

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

If you do get a DVD burner, meritline.com has the Pioneer 107 (multi-format) dvd burner for ~ $180.00 and the 106D for about ~ $130 - 140. For many people, the 106D is more than adequate.

These burners work very good with the freeware ripper/burning software, so no need to buy $$$'s of commercial software and very good standalone dvd players compatibility.
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• LouieLouie
            • Feb 2004

Thanks again guys for your help, I really appreciate it

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

Also, in reference to what Qyd pointed out, If you were to author a MiniDVD and use DVD Shrink to compress, you can get approximately 45 minutes on a CD (r, rw) with decent video quality.

Comment

• LouieLouie
                • Feb 2004

Yes, I could try that however I am having problems getting my burner drive to recognize it or I am not doing a step right. Guess I need to be more computer literate.

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"I am having problems getting my burner drive to recognize it or I am not doing a step right"

There is a "MiniDVD feature in Nero 6.

Comment

Working...