Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sinner
    • Feb 2004

How 2 Transfer From Tape To Computer

I just bought a canon mini dv elura 50. I was under the assumption that I could just plug in the usb cable and the software that came with it would allow me to transfer tape to the computer.

I was wrong.

In the instructions it says that you need a dv cord to do this.

After I buy this cord am I going to need any thing else to get this working?

I have a p4 1.7g 512ram 40gig hd.

I didnt want to buy a dvd cam because they are still fairly large and this one will fit in my pocket.

Last edited by sinner; 16 Feb 2004, 12:31 PM.
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

sinner,

Your nickname? Aaahh, the illusion doth continue for some! Many of us are awaiting the standalone dvd recorders (-R's) to reach a more reasonable price and the ripping software to effectively transfer the audio/video of such burned discs to the rig for processing, etc. by 'Shrink and/or etc..

Your rig's spec.'s are okay, so no problem there. Really, so many problems with capture card synch problems that many persons decided to await the standalone solution.

The cord you bought could be used on a standalone, it seems, and so would not be a waste of money.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• sinner
      • Feb 2004

I was going to buy a dvd recorder, but they are a little big and they only record up to 20min a disc.

Why is that they only record so little?

So if I go buy the cord today, i dont need anything else to get it on my computer?

I dont understand this "standalone". What is this?

The dvd recorder was only a few hundred more then this camera, but a fair bit larger. I'm not worried about losing a little quality, I just need to get it onto my computer.

Maybe I should just trade it in, but im really happy with this camera so far.
      Last edited by sinner; 16 Feb 2004, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

A standalone Digital Video Recorder is a "table-top" unit which you can record from v.c.r., dvd player, cable, satellite and "pocket-sized recorders", all of which may require special/specific cables/change-overs, converters, etc.. They can record DVD quality @ 2 + hours as they use various DVD media to record to. Many persons are waiting for the DVD-R recorders to fall below $300.00 and their burns to be "easily rippable".

This standalone method (with appropriate ripper software) can easily convert the digital video/audio straight to the computer with no synch problem. It is still a while away, though (some months), it seems.

I would not advise you to buy a standalone now, a cord, nor a "capture card", but to wait until the standalone is lower in price and the freeware authors sort out the ripping of their burned discs so to transfer direct to computer with no audio/video synch problems. The conventional wisdom is that a capture card is a waste of money, when the standalones are falling in price.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• sinner
          • Feb 2004

I'm not really worried about cost. I just need this to work for my computer.

How do all these people transfer stuff to net (like the paris vid for instance), is it this stand alone?

This only came with a 8mb card. If I buy a bigger card can i record for longer times? I have 2 other cameras ....1 8mm couple of years old and a new fuji dv still camera that can record 90sec clips. I am really thinking about taking this thing back. I was really decieved by what I was told. I may end up buying one of those damn dvd recorders intstead. I hate how big they are.

Thanks for your replys Quality's Proof, much appreciated!

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

sinner,

You are welcome.

I really don't see a portable dv recorder (for the general public) any time soon, though the timetable woud be sooner than the VHS craze. Hey, I have one of the more expensive capture cards available (when I bought it ~ 2 years ago, retail was ~ $400) for the non-professional, and software is undependable, out-of-synch audio, and expensive third-party software advised to fix hardware (card) fault. I wouldn't even give it to an enemy.

The standalone is the solution for VHS movie back-ups, portable movie cameras transference to DVD-R's, etc., and as soon as the freeware ripping gets this transfer process fixed, no expensive software to buy. Yeah, sounds like you might should get a refund and use that money to buy a DVD-R standalone recorder when the price falls, won't be more than a few to several months. The +R's are already at $250 @ Wal-Mart, but the -R recorder is the one to get (most DVD players won't play the +R's), at a middle of the road price (Pioneer, etc.).
            Rig :

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Sinner...since you've already bought it...if you buy the firewire cable all you need is some editing software on your machine to capture. Any editor will recognize a DV camera. My box came with MS MovieMaker2...you may have a similar editor already on your box. If not...VirtualDub freeware can be found on this site ( although I've heard from users it requires the Huffy Lossless codec to be effective. DV capture is .AVI...and file size is large (12+ GB/hour of capture.) ULead Video Studio 7 can convert that large DV-AVI capture to MPEG2 real-time on-the-fly (file sizes 1/4 that of AVI). It costs $90...but they offer a 30 day free trial.

Comment

• sinner
                • Feb 2004

Well, I bought a fire wire today. Have to say it is all I was really after. It seems to work alright. I just did a a video of my friends1 yr old son with title, credits, a heart fade in and out and some music in the background.

Was a lot easier than I thought it would be. It cost me $118cnd with Hardware and 2 software discs. I didnt use the softare that comes with it yet. I am just using the windows movie maker and it is all I think I really need. Im just doing stuff for fun, no career or big ambitions with it.

Now I can really start doing some recording and make my little vids to send to friends and whatever.

Thanks for all your help guys. Im sure i will be lurking in the boards trying to find tips to make everything a little better and trying to lend a hand when I can.

Comment

Working...