Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mogoyo
    • Feb 2004

Best way to capture

When capturing from a digital 8 cam, I have noticed that those captures by means of USB 2.0 or iLink (through ImageMixer software) are by far worst than the same captures using my video capture card using analog (composite or s video) input (WinDVR software). Is this normal or is there any setting I should use, or use other software? Should I stick with the video capture card? I will then use those captures to transfer them to a DVD so I want the best quality available to me. The Imagemixer software is great for its control over the camera, but the quality is really bad. System: WXP SP1, P4, 2.6Ghz, 512 MB Ram, 160GB HD, nvidia xtaxy 64MB.
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I don't know the software you are using...but keeping DV in digital format all the way from camera to HDD by firewire capture should be superior to an analog conversion. Any editor will capture DV...why not try another?

Comment

• Mogoyo
      • Feb 2004

ImageMixer is the software supplied by Sony with the digital videocamera. In addition it has control over the camera. Win DVR is the softwre supplied with the video capture camera.

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

You'd think that was good stuff, then. Why do you think the analog capture looks better? Is it clearer...less pixcelated...? You might try a DV capture using a trial version of ULead Video Studio7 (select a DVD MPEG2 capture template for smaller files).

Comment

• Mogoyo
          • Feb 2004

Ok, thanks, I will try Ulead and let you know. Maybe send you still captures from both digital and analog for you to see the big difference in quality. Digital is more pixelated. Imagemixer does not provide to select the quality (at least I have not seen it!)

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

pixcelation on capture is usually caused by capturing at too high a bit-rate...it might also be a poor firewire connection...or even a substandard firewire cable. See if you can adjust the bitrate in the software...and a gold firewire only costs $20.

Comment

• Mogoyo
              • Feb 2004

More testing.

Win DVR settings (for capturing analog): DVD NTSC, MPEG2, 720x480, 6400 bit/s. Today Captured with Ulead, DVD format, 6400 bit sec and 1500 bit sec. Image quality improved a lot. But sorry guys, still the analog looks better. There are some horizontal lines in the image. I will change settings to seek some improvement. Any other suggestion?

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

Are the horizontal iines in the MPEG...or what you saw in the preview window while capturing?

Comment

• Mogoyo
                  • Feb 2004

The lines are in the MPEG.

Comment

• rsquirell
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Feb 2003

Try reducing the bitrate by 1000kbps increments and capture a few short clips ( you can achieved DVD resolution all the way down to 2000kbps). And also try something another newby posted...he said he captured at 10,000 kbps and cleared everything up. That's illogical...and he didn't say what else he may have done...but since he said it worked, who knows?

Comment

• Mogoyo
                      • Feb 2004

I've been reading about interlazing. Thats the kind of distortion I'm seen in the captures. When I get home I will do some more testing and let you know.

Comment

• rsquirell
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Feb 2003

Some capture software has the capability to change "capture bottom field first...field B" to "Top field first...field A". A lot of short clips and experimentation while you figure the best configuration for your setup...but keeping DV digital should result in clearer video. Also...a lot of those horizontal lines during fast movement will disappear when you completely render the capture to MPEG2.
                        Last edited by rsquirell; 18 Feb 2004, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...