Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murraydav
    • Mar 2004

Why wont my Sony play my burns

I recently purchased a new Plextor from Costco, hoping to burn some DVD's for the lake etc etc. After using DVD shrink I which I was coached through buy brother in law, I was happily holding my first copy.

I slip it into my older sony DVD,,,,,no way it will play. I take it over to my buddies whom got a cheapy DVD from walmart for X-Mas and sure enough it plays (Phillips)

I get mad an decide my 3 year old Sony will not play DVD-R cause it dosent even play MP3's. Soooooo I end up shopping for a new DVD player. Radio Shack has a new Sony compatible with DVD+R, DVD-R, MP3, Jpeg etc etc. So I lay out 125 bucks. Set it up and no way. I grab another DVD and try again. The darn copies play in my computer and on my pals player,,,,, so why on earth can I not play them on my Sony equipment????? By The way my Budd is playing back using the YBG set up not the S-vid or plain RCA's
    I am using plain RCA cords, would that make a difference?

Please Help my blood pressure is rizin fast Beginnin to hate SONY
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, go to:

(You'll also find information there regarding BRANDS of media that the player is "willing to recognize")

Comment

• murraydav
      • Mar 2004

My New Sony Player DVP-NS325 while not expensive, says in the manual it will play DVD+R AND DVD+RW ALSO DVD-R AND DVD-RW. I burned using Roxio 6 and DVD-R media. All I get when I try and play the disc in either sony is the opening logo does one spin and an error message comes onscreen ,,, the disc is dirty,,, not so the disc is perfectly clean.

Is there a setting in Roxio I failed to configure? And why will the burnt copy play in other DVD's and not my Sony. I can understand it not playing in my older player as it was not set up to recognise anything but plain DVD discs. I have also made video CD's of slide shows with Roxio 6 and they are no problem in either the new sony or my older sony. Boys it's got me Buffaloed and I'm ready to return the sony. I will shop with a burned disc in my pocket and demand to watch it play before making my next buy. UNLESS someone has a idea whats wrong.
      Last edited by murraydav; 17 Mar 2004, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Did you read Setarip's reply?

The crucial word you need to concentrate on is brand
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Once again:

(You'll also find information there regarding BRANDS of media that the player is "willing to recognize")

Comment

• murraydav
            • Mar 2004

I clicked on the reply and I opened the site that was supposed to let me know about my compatibility. Sorry I found nothing but confusion. I could clikc and read till im blue i the face and my dias still will play in my buddies Phillips and not my Sony.

Tell ya what this poor old dumb Canadian is going to do. Go to the store and return my brand new Sony. Take by burnt disc with me and make the guy play it in one DVD player after another untill we find a brand that will play the disc. I will then pull out my wallet and buy the one that works.

Comment

• EMW
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Feb 2004

Well, trial and error..I have a standalone panasonic rv32 (pretty nice DVD player) and it is suppose to read -R, -RW, and +R. However, it is fussy with certain media..I burnt Verbatim -R, Attera -R, and Maxell -R, Sony -R, and not one of them would read on my player. HOWEVER, it would read no problem a Maxell -RW, and Maxell +R, so I stuck with +R, -RW...It seems stupid that not all compatible media will read on the player, but for now, I guess you have to find out what media will work....If you feel it's necessary to return the Sony, and find something that works, that's fine too....

By the way, I took at look at dvdrhelp.com for you, and it recommends Maxell Media as well for you player..

Try that site out.
              Athlon 1800, 768 MB SD RAM, 40GB, XP, Lite-On 451S

Comment

• murraydav
                • Mar 2004

I think I got the help I needed, Here's how

I went to Google.com and typed in "sony dvd" "no disc", I had to use the " marks so google would look for those exact words. Well what do you know there seem to be several thousand people whom are trying to start a class action suit against Sony for my exact problem. Many just like me have spent many many thousands of dollars on Sony equipment over the years. I count eight pieces of Sony equipment in my family room alone. Yes come to think of it one of my Sony VCR's failed at a very young age, and another has been giving me grief since it was just off warrantee. Mabey these people are on to something Sony has given up on making quality components. I always knew the word Sony ment expensive, but I thought it also stood for quality. Mine is now going back, no more questions. Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"Thanks for your help guys."

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Glad to hear you've arrived at a decision...

Comment

• murraydav
                    • Mar 2004

Yesterday I solved all my problems with my Sony not palying burnt discs. I returned the sony and bought a pioneer. It is wonderful and I am happy and I am no longer a Sony customer. May Sony rot in H E double hockey sticks. However I went shopping with 3 discs in my pocket. One a copied movie, one a video cd slide show, and the third a collection of photo Jpegs. Found Panasonic would not play the movie nor would some Toshiba models. Samsung however had no problem with the copied movie. Then I found the pioneer that handled all media just fine
                    Last edited by murraydav; 21 Mar 2004, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"May Sony rot in H E double hockey sticks."

Just to let you know - One of my standalone DVD players is a Sony and, other than its being "finicky" regarding the BRANDS of media it will recognize, it continues to perform admirably after several years.

So, whether your specific situation was caused by BRAND of media or an actual defect with your player, I'd suggest to you that Sony is not deserving of your overall negative statement...

Comment

Working...