Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dahammer
    • Mar 2004

burning MPEG 2 to DVD w/out quality loss

I recently converted an AVI movie file into a MPEG-2 using TMPGEnc program. The quality seemed to be just about if not exactly the same as the original movie. Then I tried to burn it onto a R+ DVD. I used TMPGEnc DVD Author and underwent the process of authoring and then writing it. I was greatful that the DVD played alright, at least on my computer so far, but the quality seemed faded and pixely. Also, when it had burned the MPEG-2 onto the DVD, it only took about 25-40 minutes. I expected it to take longer, so I'm suspicious that I might have picked a shorter way that cuts down the quality.
    Is there any settings that I can adjust in TMPGEnc writer to make it write at maximum quality, or w/out any loss at all? Also, is the whole authoring process used mainly just for making titles and chapters? Since I have the two files,MPEG-2 file and the .wav, that TMPGEnc had made when I converted it from AVI, could I somehow just burn those two files onto a DVD w/out using the authoring tool? Would that help the quality? What software could I use? I'm new to DVD burning and would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Nothing that "TMPGEnc DVD Author" does with/to an MPEG-2 changes the video quality

2) "could I somehow just burn those two files onto a DVD w/out using the authoring tool? Would that help the quality?"

No - and No

Comment

• dahammer
      • Mar 2004

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll try different DVD burning software. But should I expect their to be a quality loss when burning to an MPEG-2 to DVD in any software?

Comment

• ed klein
        Banned
        • Mar 2004

Have been using this route for years great picture.

DVDDecrypter (IFO mode with ifo edit option selected)

DVD2AVI (DVD format to AVI format)

TMPGEnc Plus (AVI format to Mpeg2 format and custom build options) (select option to make two files MV2 video file and MP2 audio file)

Ifo Edit (Mpeg2 format to DVD format)

Burn

I use CBR (constant bitrate) and high quality slow in TMPGEnc Plus. Two to three hours to encode your custom build DVD in TMPGEnc. Can't see a difference in quality from the origional mpeg2 DVD to the copy DVD mpeg2

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"But should I expect their to be a quality loss when burning to an MPEG-2 to DVD in any software?"

Nope...

Comment

• dahammer
            • Mar 2004

Well thank you both very much for taking the time to reply. I suppose I'll try that Ifo Edit and TMPGEnc Plus next time ed klein, when I get some more DVD Rs ( I just used my last one). Thanks again.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Well thank you both very much for taking the time to reply."

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...