Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cloning is fun
    • Mar 2004

Blue Ray

Just wondering what some thoughts are on this. Comments?

• ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Until HDTV becomes more affordable, I don't think the present DVD standard will change-except for the introduction of dual layered recordable disks. The Blu Ray disks could be an attractive method of data backup, but I don't think the movie industry will be so quick to embrace them.

Comment

• Cloning is fun
      • Mar 2004

Blue Ray

I think the movie and record industry wants it because present DVD's are so easy to copy. Don't, however, think the average consumer would understand why they are being forced to buy new machines again and there would be a backlash against the electronics industry and hollywood. That's what they have to worry about.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I think the movie and record industry wants it because present DVD's are so easy to copy"

I disagree. If the movie industry wanted to, they could easily implement a new and improved encryption code beyond the current 56-bit key that all the commercial and non-commercial software rippers can now break. That would mean of course another round of new standalone players and the manufacturers would have to be provided the new key from the movie industry. If you were to do a "Cost Benefit Analysis", a new rollout of standalone players would be much less expensive in the long run than implementing a new disk technology, which the new generation of players would have to be created anyway in order to handle the new technology. The movie industry wants to minimize costs and maximize profits in the long run.
        Last edited by ormonde; 21 Apr 2004, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• DarthPookie
          • Apr 2004

Well, one of the only benefits that I see with Blu-Ray besides improved picture is that they are encased in that plastic cartridge which would definitely keep scratches off the movie disc.

Comment

Working...