X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • c160
    • Aug 2003

Questions for experts! VCD to DVD for Home DVD

Hi there,

I want to put my old VCD's on a DVD+R to save space and the disc change during watching.
    The DVD+R shall include the VCD's and shall be playable in a normal Home-DVD-Player!

I tried Nero 6 and WinOnCD/DVD 6 but I found no functions for that. Maybe I missed it.

The perfections would be that the DVD+R also include the menue's.

1. Is there a way to that?
    2. Which programe do I need?

Thx in advance to any replies

C160
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different from TMPGEnc). You can create chapter points and menus easily. Simply import your mpeg files into one or separate tracks (If they are of a different resolution and bitrate). You can also burn straight to disk if your OS is Win 2000 or XP. Also, you could try DVDLab as an alternative too.

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

I would leave Nero to the burning part and do as "ormonde" stated. Software such as Tmpgenc Dvd Author are much better IMO.

Comment

• c160
        • Aug 2003

Yeah, thx.

Where do I get this version of TMPEG?

Is everything inlcuded in the version, or do I have to install extra codecs?

Does TMPEG re-calculate the resolution to DVD qaulity (720/576)?
        Because Nero6 is doing that and I want my VCD's in the normal resolution.

thx

C160

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

try www.tmpgenc.com/ As ormonde pointed out...if you're running XP or Windows 2000, DVD Author will burn the disc (no need for Nero). If you must use Nero follow the wizard for making a Video DVD...and load all the files from the VIDEO_TS folder. No need for codecs...and the output will look as good as the source (you can't improve the source by merely changing the resolution) But you will have to convert the MPEG1 VCD to a DVD Compliant MPEG2 in order for TMPGenc DVD Author to accept it...and by selecting the DVD Template in TMPGenc Plus (different program) during this step you change the resolution....but can't improve on the clarity. Don't forget to build a menu while you are in DVD Author so you can use your TV remote to toggle between videos. (Oh, and you do have a DVD Burner....right?)
          Last edited by rsquirell; 22 Apr 2004, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• c160
            • Aug 2003

Yeah, got a the NEC1100A.

One question for the understanding. You mentioned that TMPEG will convert mpeg1 to mpeg2 for DVD. Okay, but does the programe also increases the resolution, e.g. from VCD to 720x576 DVD? That would decrease the quality seriously, wouldn't it?

C160

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

it should look as good as the original VCD. You can download 30 day trials for both products....give it a try and make your own assessment.
              Last edited by rsquirell; 22 Apr 2004, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• c160
                • Aug 2003

A big "Thank You" to everybody who replied!

This TMPEG is exactly what I was looking for. Easy to handle and working with almost every file.

Now it's time burn, baby, burn....

C160

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"A big "Thank You" to everybody who replied!"

Glad (We) could be of help

Comment

Working...