X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_roberts49
    • Feb 2002

Need to Clarify Myself

Greetings to setarip,

I think I need to explain what I want to do. I'm not interested in encoding DVDs to AVI or any other format. All I do is rip the DVD to my hard drive and use PowerDVD to play it in file mode. I have huge drive space on my computer and simply like the option of copying my DVDs to my hard drive. I make my backups by splitting the individual vob files into 2 separate files using a file splitter utility which enables me to store each file on 2 CDs. Most DVDs take from 7-12 CDs. Cast Away is the only DVD I've encountered that won't produce sound. I know it's the DTS and I do have 3 other DVDs that have DTS and I want to back those up too.

Using this method also allows my son (who lacks a DVD drive) to copy the files to his hard drive, and allows me to do the same with my laptop which also lacks a DVD drive. There has to be some solution to get around the DTS problem. I've tried changing the mapping to x80 within Smartripper, but no go. The best I've been able to do, is creating a separate VOB file (from the streaming tab on smartripper). That gets me the sound, but causes the video to freeze up. Any thoughts on my insanity?

BTW

I'm a native Californian, and got transplanted to Maryland almost 3 years ago. Still go back to see family and friends (and work). My old hometown is Newport Beach California, but my Mom now lives up in Placerville.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Well, at least your Mom's in the right part of the state ;>}

"All I do is rip the DVD to my hard drive and use PowerDVD to play it in file mode."

Life just got a lot simpler! Why didn't you state that at the outset?

I too play many ripped DVDs (ENTIRELY ripped, .IFOs etal - This is critical!) from one of my 120 Gig hard drives.

I'll simply describe my procedure to you:

1) Rip the FULL DVD (NOT "Movie" and NOT "Selected VOBs"), with Clad v.1.71 (NOT the more recent CladMDEC). Do NOT turn off "Multiangles". The ripped DVD MUST be placed in a directory/folder named "Video_ts". If you have more than one DVD on your drive, put this directory/folder into a folder named, for example, "Cast-Away".

2) I use WinDVD rather than PowerDVD, so you may have to modify the rest of this a little (It only LOOKS like a lot):

Click on the "Start" button at the lower left corner of the Windows Desktop. Click on run. Assuming that "Cast_Away" is on your "C:" drive, type the following (without the quotes):

"subst M: C:\Cast_Away" (Make certain to type a space between "M:" and "C:"). This establishes a mapped drive which will be recognized as a DVD drive.

Start WinDVD. Set WinDVD's Default drive to "M". Select "Autoplay". Select "Okay". Go back to the main WinDVD screen. If the ripped DVD doesn't start automatically, simply exit WinDVD and restart it. You'll now be viewing a "true" DVD, with all the options of the "hard" DVD available - languages, chapters, etc.

When you've tired of viewing Tom Hanks enamorata, "Wilson", close WinDVD. Go to the Windows Desktop "Start" button and once again select "Run". Type (without the quotes):

"subst M: /d" (Make certain to type a space between "M:" and "/d". Yes, the "d" MUST be lowercase.

This will eliminate the mapped drive.

I've gotta believe this will make you a happy camper ;>}

Comment

• dr_roberts49
      • Feb 2002

The Happy Camper

Thanks for all your help Setarip. I'm sorry I didn't get it straight on the first posting. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm certain it will go just fine now. In the last paragraph of your instructions, you tell me how to remove the mapped drive. I take it, that all the files will go too. Right? One last thing, will CladMDEC create separate vob files like Smartrip does?

Once again, thank you for your help & support

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

My pleasure ;>}

"One last thing, will CladMDEC create separate vob files like Smartrip does?"

Yes it will (Although I still prefer the older Clad v.1.71 to the newer CladMDEC) - If you follow the instructions from my previous post it, you'll end up with a "Video_ts" (folder inside your "Cast_Away" folder), the contents of which will appear to be identical to those of your "real" DVD.

The "files" were never in the mapped drive to begin with (so, yes, they'll disappear). The whole concept of mapping is merely establishing pointers to the real location. When you create the mapped drive, you'll note that it takes about one second to create the "drive" and "copy" up to 8.7 Gigabytes of information to it. When our machines truly attain that kind of speed I think I'll just hang it all up and go fishin' ;>}

Comment

• dr_roberts49
          • Feb 2002

Phase Error 10

I followed your instructions, but had to use CladMDEC, because I was unable to find the older version you recommended. Anyway, despite a few lacking sections, I ripped Cast Away using your well defined instructions. When I typed:

subst M: D:\Cast_Away (Cast Away is on my D: drive) I received the following DOS error.

phase error 10

Any suggestions?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Can't imagine what's causing that. Are you sure (I'm sure you're sure, but I have to ask anyway) that it didn't say "Parsing" error - which you would receive if you didn't type some part of the line correctly (e.g. putting two spaces between "M:" and "D:\")? I couldn't help but notice that you've typed the folder name as both "Cast_Away" and "Cast Away" - clould you have mistyped this in the Run box?

I use the "M:" because on this system my existing drives, both logical and physical, run through "L:". If you are certain that your typing is correct, try replacing the "M:" with the letter following the letter of your last listed drive.

In the world of "anything is possible", there may be an entry in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files (if they even exist on your system) "capping" your drive letters, hence the suggestion to use a letter lower in the alphabet (but not one of an already existing drive!)

You'll get this working if it kills me ;>}

By the way, just for some immediate gratification (and to provide the incentive to continue on your quest), have you tried to play one of the (movie) .VOBs, to determine that you've now got audio? Don't get worried if an individual .VOB plays the "wrong" audio track (e.g. French, or the Director's Comments), as playing an individual .VOB is subject to certain limitations versus playing the full ripped DVD...
            Last edited by setarip; 15 Feb 2002, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• dr_roberts49
              • Feb 2002

All is Well

I think I was just too tired. I did have a minor typo, and it's been corrected and I can now hear Tom yelling at Wilson! Thanks for all the help and support setarip! I hope I can return the favor sometime and/or pass what I've learned on to someone else. Now I think I'll get myself to bed!

Comment

Working...