Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olddvd
    • Apr 2004

Convert Wedding VHS to DVD - Help!

Ok, I am wanting to convert VHS to DVD disc's and don't have a clue on what video editing card, software, and etc I need. Not willing to go out and buy a Camcorder with the bells and whisles to play the tapes to the computer btw.

Just would like a decent copy of the VHS burned to DVD of my wedding and some of my children's school events (8mm and on full size VHS tape). The simpler the product(s) the better for me, as I don't mind spending some time doing this.

I currently havea Matrix computer http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_desktop_2020.asp with an added Sony DRU 510A with all the updated firmware.

Please give me some ideas. Remember to dumb it down for me and if possible would love to just get a simple bundled setup I could use. If not confuse me with it all.
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

There are so many options these days to do this. Many people are suggesting hardware solutions, DVD recorders. Before that, folks relied on capture cards, either external (usually for laptops) or internal. Some capture cards will convert your VHS to MPEG-2 on the fly, and then you can author that into DVD structure. Others will recommend cards that capture to raw video, for best quality, and then do the conversion on your PC, but this takes loads of HDD space. Personally, I use an external capture device that connects to the VCR and converts VHS to MPEG-2, with a choice of bitrate ranging from 3-5Mbps. Not the highest quality, but I've been very happy with it, and many of those types of devices cost around 200USD, including all the software you need.

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

Originally posted by megamachine
      Not the highest quality, but I've been very happy with it, and many of those types of devices cost around 200USD, including all the software you need.
      200$ US
      u can get Snazzi*III AV.DV round 200 $ the best i had and used...

Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• olddvd
        • Apr 2004

Ok, how about these choices, as I do want to be able to have a Brick and Morter Store that I can bitch at if it doesn't work right.

Looking at the Pinnacle Systems Dazzle Digital Video Creator 150
        Model: DVC-150
        Shop online at Best Buy in your country and language of choice. Best Buy provides online shopping in a number of countries and languages.

or a Pinnacle Systems Studio AV/DV Version 9 Video Editing Kit Model: 210100357
        Shop online at Best Buy in your country and language of choice. Best Buy provides online shopping in a number of countries and languages.

Really like to keep this under $150 because I am just cheap.

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

What I meant by "not the highest quality" was relevant to using professional DV capture devices and editing software. For MPEG-2 capture, they're all in the same quality range (for what it's worth, I use ADS Tech Instant DVD, which I bought a year ago for under 200USD). Most in this range should under 200USD. Some folks on this forum use Pinnacle Systems, so maybe they'll weigh in. You want to be careful to get one designed for VCR capturing, since some are designed more or less for capturing from DV cameras. Another good idea is to go to the forums for the products. Dazzle and ADSTech both have forums where you can learn from users.

Comment

• olddvd
            • Apr 2004

Went and looked at both the Dazzle and Pinnacle Studio AD/VD Ver 9 products today. Two cons for both of them:

1) The Dazzle uses USB 2.0 and my USB is 1.1, thus to take advantage of the faster 2.0, I would need to upgrade my USB. That's right at $40 plus another slot taken.

2) The Pinnacle Studio AD/DV Ver 9 has no Audio (RCA) inputs and relies on the audio card to have the ability to contect. And unless my audio can go into a microphone input, then I would have to buy a new audio card for the sound of the VHS tapes.

Ok, any ideas?

Comment

• megamachine
              Video Fiddler
              • Mar 2003

Not sure about Pinnacle; my ADS uses sound card line in for audio.
              Last edited by megamachine; 7 Jul 2004, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• vprmatrix
                • Jul 2004

I recently purchased and installed an ATI All-In-Wonder 9200 video card that has the capabilities you are looking for. At the time it was only available through Wal-Mart and cost $150. You can watch and record TV and capture external video (and audio) such as VHS in Mpeg-1 (good for a video CD) or Mpeg-2 for DVD output. Have sucessfully converted several hour long tapes to video CDs with good results. For the price you can't beat it. I too have a VPR Matrix 2020. Replacement of the nVidia card that came with your computer is pretty straight forward. Good luck!

Comment

• vprmatrix
                  • Jul 2004

I recently purchased and installed an ATI All-In-Wonder 9200 video card that has the capabilities you are looking for. At the time it was only available through Wal-Mart and cost $150. You can watch and record TV and capture external video (and audio) such as VHS in Mpeg-1 (good for a video CD) or Mpeg-2 for DVD output. Have sucessfully converted several hour long tapes to video CDs with good results. For the price you can't beat it. I too have a VPR Matrix 2020. Replacement of the nVidia card that came with your computer is pretty straight forward. Good luck!

Comment

Working...