X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgardias
    • Feb 2002

HDTV Recording

Hi all,

I'm a big newbie with a potentialy unrelated question. So please forgive me if I should not be here. If you could tell me where to go I would appreciate it.

My question:
    My cable company (Rogers) has now started offering HDTV in a BIG way in my area. Does anyone know if I can use my PC as a recorder to capture a 1080i signal with Dolby Digital audio? If yes, will there be loss?
  • RTP_Rich
    • Feb 2005

You'll need either a MyHD MDP-130 card or the Fusion HD-Gold 3T card. Both can capture UNENCRYPTED QAM modulated signals off a cable (both can also do a nice job on OTA as well). I have the Fusion card and TimeWarner Cable - not much available beyond local ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS channels and DiscoveryHD.. so don't expect much. Somebody out there know how to crack the encryption?

As far as quality - bit for bit.. I think all of the audio is DD ac3 either 2.0 or 5.1 - and once you've taken the .ts or .tp file through HDTVtoMPEG2 you preserve the audio bit for bit. Demux it using DVD2AVI, DGIindex, or the MPEG Tools in TMPGEnc.

For instance, I captured the 2005 Superbowl Halftime Show, reencoded the video down to 720x480 16:9 and brought the 5.1 DD AC3 audio along for the ride. ABC's Desperate Housewives is also 5.1 DD AC3.

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by RTP_Rich
      Somebody out there know how to crack the encryption?
      Shall we all pretend you didn't ask this?
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Shall we all pretend you didn't ask this?"

Twice...

Comment

Working...