X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeo
    • May 2004

Please help! Computer freezes right after dvd is analyzed

hello all:

I've searched all the threads I could find to resolve my problem but to no avail. Hopefully you can help.

I'm using:
    Win 2000
    Pent 4; 1.6 Ghz; 40G HD; 512 RAM-512 cache
    latest nero (6. something) I'm at work now so I can't check
    Universal BUSlink 8x Internal DVD±RW/±R/CD-RW Drive Model: DVRW812D

I also have plenty of free space (over 18 GB) on my HD.

Basically, here's what's happened:

I would be burning with dvdshrink and the progress counter (showing the % completed) on the window starts to spazz out. Then the burn fails.

After that happened a few times, I did the analyzing and encoding with dvdshink but left the burning to ImgTool. Then ImgTool started to occassionally fail.

The latest development is right after I analyze a disc in dvdshrink, the comp freezes up and I have to manually restart it. After it reboots it will work (sometimes) until the next project when it starts over again.

All non-essential activity is shut down. I even experimented with the process priorities in the Task Manager>Processes window panel. Nothing.

I read on the threads here to "open DMA". I know that is Direct Memory Access, but how do you "open" it?

Is there anything else i can do? Does this sound like a cpu issue (it does to me). Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks
    mikeo
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Re: Please help! Computer freezes right after dvd is analyzed

Originally posted by mikeo

I read on the threads here to "open DMA". I know that is Direct Memory Access, but how do you "open" it?
    hi mikeo,

take a look here for info on enabling your DMA:

DVD Drive are been set in these days. But need to know some tips to use DVD newbie (www.njmcdirect.com to Search Parking Ticket Online by entering the new jersey traffic […]

Comment

• mikeo
      • May 2004

much obliged!

Now, do you have any tips on how to get my writing speed up to par? The analyzing and encoding processes are really quick now, but at the expense of the writing speed. I'm writing a standard dvd now and its timed for almost 2.5 hours!

Comment

• elaine.cole
        • Apr 2004

Hi Mikeo,

I have tried loads of different combinations and despite Nero being so popular, I found it as bad as using Pinnacle. I have since used DVD Shrink (mostly the re-author, unless there are subtitles) then a French program (VSO) CopytoDVD. Using those two together I can say I have not had one failure out of around 60 backups. I still use DVD RW's though, just in case and then if I am satisfied with quality, just copy the dvdrw with Roxio disc copier onto a dvd-r. You can get a fairly long free trial (I used it for around 3 months installing and uninstalling until I got caught and had to buy it, but it was only around $30.00) You can get more help about this (where I originally got all the info) from dvdrhelp.
        Good luck and give Copytodvd a go, you may have to temporarily uninstall Nero as it is known to conflict with a lot of apps.

Comment

• elaine.cole
          • Apr 2004

Mikeo - P.S. to Last One

Using a 4x writer, CopytoDVD takes about half an hour to write an average dvd.

Comment

Working...