Advice needed. Having trouble joining mpg files.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duckman
    • Jun 2004

Advice needed. Having trouble joining mpg files.

Hi.

I'm trying to join 4 mpg-files into one.
    They are all from the same movie-file, split into four and burned as SVCD.

I've used IsoBuster to rip the mpgs back to my harddisk.

Then I tried TMPGenc to join the files, but it keeps telling me that there is an error joining file 2 to file 1. (file 2 can be joined to file 3 without the error showing up)

Then I tried HJSplit, and it joined file1 and file2. (decided to just try two files at first)
    The movie then plays, but when I try to move the slider - the image and audio disappears when I hit apx 27mins.
    The counter still goes though. I tried playing from right before the image disappears when I use the slider, and the movie plays on past the point...

(Tried viewing with WinMedia8 and BSPlayer)

THEN I tried Easy Video Joiner (same problem) and AVI MPEG ASF WMV Splitter (says that the files cannot be recognized)

Hope this makes sense to anyone... and that anyone has an idea on what to do... I'm lost...
  • reboot
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2004

Try Womble.
    My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

"Then I tried TMPGenc to join the files, but it keeps telling me that there is an error joining file 2 to file 1."

Probably because either the bitrates and or the framerates are different. All the clips that you want to join MUST have the same framerate and bitrate.

Comment

• Duckman
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ormonde
        "Then I tried TMPGenc to join the files, but it keeps telling me that there is an error joining file 2 to file 1."

Probably because either the bitrates and or the framerates are different. All the clips that you want to join MUST have the same framerate and bitrate.
        I don't know enough about this to be sure, but they are cut from the same original file. What the author have done I can't tell.

TMPGeng says this about the files.

FILE1: MPEG-1 480x576 25fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 192kbps

FILE2: MPEG-1 480x576 25fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 192kbps

FILE3: MPEG-1 480x576 25fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 192kbps

FILE4: MPEG-1 480x576 25fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 192kbps

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Comment

• Duckman
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by reboot
          Try Womble.
          Just tried it.

Both the VideoClip option, and the option to just add a segment to an existing file.

Still ALMOST the same problem. Tried with WinMediaClassic, and when I run the slider now the picture show up, but no audio - and the movie stays still.

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

Two joiners for MPEG2...freeware HJSplit (you must rename files to the format : movie.mpg.001, movie.mpg.002, etc) and the $30 AVI_MPG_WMV_RM Joiner by Boilsoft. I have never had much luck with TMPGenc's joining and splitting functions.

Comment

• Duckman
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by rsquirell
              Two joiners for MPEG2...freeware HJSplit (you must rename files to the format : movie.mpg.001, movie.mpg.002, etc) and the $30 AVI_MPG_WMV_RM Joiner by Boilsoft. I have never had much luck with TMPGenc's joining and splitting functions.
              thanks
              But please read my original post - where I state that I have tried both HJSPlit ant that Boilsoft thing with the same problem

Comment

• Duckman
                • Jun 2004

Hey!
                Something just happened!

I tried the file, running the slider beyond that 30min. point where the movie hangs. And the same problem.
                Movie hangs, no audio, no movement.

Then I had to go do something else, and forgot about it.

Suddenly I hear Eddie Vedder howling along on Masters Of War...

Seems the move starts again - just that it takes about 10 minutes before the movie and audio catches up with the slider????????

Now what's that all about?

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"but it keeps telling me that there is an error joining file 2 to file 1"

As an Alternative to TMPGEnc, try a program called "AVS Video Converter".

Comment

• reboot
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2004

Run each of them through VCDGear, mpeg -> mpeg with "fix mpeg" checked.
                    Check the logs after each, to see if there were any errors.
                    Why do you want to join these 4 mpegs? Is the end product going to be a dvd? If so, just let the authoring join them, instead of doing it beforehand.
                    You could also try OrdixMpack (google it) and join them in that.

Comment

• Duckman
                      • Jun 2004

Run each of them through VCDGear, mpeg -> mpeg with "fix mpeg" checked.
                      Check the logs after each, to see if there were any errors.
                      Why do you want to join these 4 mpegs? Is the end product going to be a dvd? If so, just let the authoring join them, instead of doing it beforehand.
                      You could also try OrdixMpack (google it) and join them in that.

I'll give those things a try tomorrow.

And to all you guys who've helped, know it's deeply appreciated!
                      I'm gonna keep on trying until I get it right

And the idea is to burn it as a dvd yes.

I just bought a dvd-burner, so I haven't looked into how it's done yet. Just concentrated on getting the files I wanted to burn

I have NERO, will that do the job of joining as you say?

Comment

• reboot
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2004

OK, to burn as DVD it's simple. Nero will burn, but not author. Nerovision Express will author, but the product will SUCK!

Don't bother joining them at all. Let the authoring software do it. Just keep adding videos until the disk is full, then add your chapters etc., compile and burn.
                        DVDLab is a good option for doing this, although tmpgenc dvd author will also do it. Tutorial here: http://www.videohelp.com/guides?link=602
                        Another tutorial here, and although it deals with SVCD, the idea of multiple movies on one dvdr is the same. (more complex): http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/svcd.html
                        Last edited by reboot; 4 Jun 2004, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Duckman
                          • Jun 2004

OK, to burn as DVD it's simple. Nero will burn, but not author. Nerovision Express will author, but the product will SUCK!

Don't bother joining them at all. Let the authoring software do it. Just keep adding videos until the disk is full, then add your chapters etc., compile and burn.
                          DVDLab is a good option for doing this, although tmpgenc dvd author will also do it. Tutorial here: http://www.videohelp.com/guides?link=602
                          Another tutorial here, and although it deals with SVCD, the idea of multiple movies on one dvdr is the same. (more complex): http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/svcd.html
                          Thanks for trying, man! I'm extremely grateful for the time all you guys have put into trying to help.

I downloaded DVDlab, looked up the tutorial on videohelp, and tried to make my first real dvd.
                          Got the moviefiles in, made a few chapters and menues. Then tried to compile to test the dvd.
                          And I got the error-message "Microsoft C++ Runtime Error" And DVDlab says Cannot Packetize Audio...

Looked around, and found someone mentioning having more space on harddrive. Fixed that. Reinstalled. Tried again.
                          Removed all but one of the moveclips. Removed all menues except menu1 - with a direct link to movie1.

I'm beginning to think I'm not meant to be making dvds

Edit:
                          Just dowloaded and tried TMPGEnc DVD Author.
                          It gives me a errormessage, saying that the video GOP is too long.
                          I choose Ignore to make a non-standard dvd. Use all the suggested settings. Add one file, one menu and so on.
                          Then, when I get to the point where I click the "begin output" - the program just shuts down.
                          Last edited by Duckman; 11 Jun 2004, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• Rudikma
                            • Jan 2004

I would use an editing software like PREMIERE PRO. But the software is pretty expensive.

Comment

• reboot
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Apr 2004

Open tmpgenc. Cancel the wizard.
                              Click File, mpeg tools.
                              On the simple demux tab, load your video, hit the run button, demux. Do this to all 4.
                              You will now have 4 *.m2v files, and 4 *.mp2 files.
                              Get Goldwave (audio program, free 30 day trial).
                              Open each of your mp2 files, select Effect, Resample.
                              Resample each mp2 to 48khz.
                              Save as .wav
                              Import the m2v and .wav files into dvdlab.
                              If you find the .wav files too large, open tmpgenc, cancel wizard, and open only the audio.wav file and encode to mp2.
                              Import that into dvdlab.
                              You should now have 4 movies and one menu in dvdlab.
                              On the connections tab, click the + sign, and join the first to the second, second to third, etc. Then on the menu, right click your link to the movie, whatever you used, a button, text, whatever. Select Link to > mainmovie, moviestart.
                              Last edited by reboot; 15 Jun 2004, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Working...