Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeeRobertE
    • Jan 2004

Can anyone help me understand this?

I've recorded some video in AVI format and it consumes memory at a tremendous rate. I have receintly downloaded some movies from Suprnova.com that are in AVI format but a 92 minute movie was only 770 megs. How can that be? And second is there anyway to record that to DVD to play in a regular DVD player?
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

AVI is just a container for variously encoded videos. What you are experiencing is differences in compression. Uncompressed, or lightly compressed, digital video is huge in terms of file size. Highly compressed video, such as the kind found on the movie you mentioned is also possible within AVI. Your choice of compression method depends on what you want to do with the video you recorded. If you want to learn more, just Google "digital video compression" and read up on "codecs." The 770MB movie you have is probably compressed with the DivX or XviD codec, which gives decent quality for PC viewing, and with small file sizes. There are guides for how to convert that back to DVD format that you can play on a stand alone player, so search this site. Recently, some stand alone players are said to play those files, but they seem to be rare and expensive.

Comment

• Soulhunter
      • Mar 2004

Here is a "easy to understand example" !!!

A BMP picture @ fullscreen resolution needs some MB's...

But a JPEG picture @ same resolution needs only some % of this !!!

The JPEG is compressed, the BMP not...

But the JPEG compression lowers the quality of the picture !!!

Bye

Member of E.V.I.L. Corp. 2003 ® - Website in progress...

Comment

Working...