Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kress
    • Jul 2004

Questions about Aspect Ratios, Anamorphic WS & Letterbox

OK, I have some questions and some things I have to clear up about different Aspect Ratios, Anamorphic WideScreen and Non-Anamorphic Letterboxed WideScreen:

1. I have a lot of anamorphic widescreen DivX/XviD DVD-rips that use high aspect ratios from 1.85:1 to 2.35:1. Watching it on my computer screen or on my standard TV through a DVD (that supports DivX/XviD) is a real pain, mainly because the black bars at the top and bottom use about 40% of the screen, and there's not much left to see in the picture itself since it's very small vertically-wise (height). I know I need an HDTV that is enhanced for 16:9 widescreen to watch them anamorphically on TV, but how do I watch anamorphic widescreen DivX/XviD/VCD/SVCD DVD-rips on my computer screen anamorphically? (feel the entire screen through the process of "squeezing" and then "unsqueezing" the picture) Watching it in its letterboxed form is not very good since the picture is very small.

2. Can I adjust the anamorphic widescreen DivX/XviD/VCD/SVCD DVD-rips to work anamorphically on a digital TV (enhanced to 16:9) and basically fill the entire screen (while preserving the WS format) instead of letterboxed images (black bars at top and bottom of screen) with my DVD that supports DivX/XviD/VCD/SVCD? (Again through "squeezing" and "unsqueezing" the image) Does only the original DVD work anamorphically or can I also view my DivX/XviD DVD-rips anamorphically as well?

I know these questions seem a bit confusing, but if anyone has some knowledge about these I'll appreciate it.
Working...