Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blesum
    • Aug 2004

Movie Lengths V.S. Memory Sizes?

I've noticed that more often than not, the time limit for a uncompressed copy of a movie is at about 110-120 minutes. I ALWAYS strip everything off of a movie except sound.

However, the time to memory size ratio constantly varies and I get fustrated when I end up with a movie that requires 2 discs for a uncompressed copy. This last weekend I ended up with a 91 minute long movie that exceed 5 GB.

I was hoping that there was a nice formula for burning but I'm learning that this isn't the case.

I'm wondering if somewhere there's a database posted with information on how much memory each movie requires? That'd be a real life saver.

-Blesum
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Unfortunately, storage requirements for movies include too many variables to be formularized:

Widescreen or fullscreen
    Amount of high or low action
    How "colorful"
    Original bitrate used
    Audio format(s)
    Number of soundtracks

Comment

• blesum
      • Aug 2004

Yeah, that's why I've realized that there's no simple trick to figuring this out. Now, if there was a place to post data info on movies already shrunk, that'd be great... Is there such a place in existence already? Probably couldn't be done here as per admin rules.

-Blesum

Comment

• Phytrax
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Jul 2004

I'm not clear what you are trying to do. If you are using DVD Shrink to backup your movies you can set the compression to AUTOMATIC and you will always get the perfect compression ratio.

By the way, there is no such thing as an uncompressed DVD, that is why they vary so much. All DVD's are already compressed, but to greatly different degrees.

Comment

• blesum
          • Aug 2004

I have a higher-end TV and abhor the thought of watching further-compressed movies on it. So I avoid compressing at all when using Shrink.

What I'm trying to find out without getting into trouble, is if there's a place that lists movies by how much memory they are in uncompressed mode.

For example,

The Adventures of Blesum : 3.7 GB Sound 200 MB
          Phytrax V.S. Godzilla: 3.4 GB Sound 645 MB
          Setarip and the Naughty Girls: 4.2 GB Sound 336 MB

That way I'd know to wait until Dual Layer media becomes a bit more affordable/reasonable before I look into Setarip and the Naughty Girls.

Did that make sense?

-Blesum

Comment

• Phytrax
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Jul 2004

Which model number tv do you have and what type of connection? I have a very nice 32" sony with a S-video connection and I can't see any compression artifacts on it even when I compress to 51%. I can see some on my computer so maybe on a fully high defintion setup you could see the difference.

What I'd recommend though is put the disk in the computer and go to "Reauthor" mode. Title 1 is usually the main movie and it will tell you how big the movie is. If it's too big to fit on a disk then wait for dual layer for that one. You could back those up to hard drive also until dual layer is more available. 200gb hard drives can be found for around $100 now.

Comment

• blesum
              • Aug 2004

I have a '36 Sony XBR with S-video as well. I only copy Title 1's, and the 91 minute long movie I ran into last weekend exceed 5 GB! Yes, title 1 only. I just about fell out of my chair. I also use the editing feature to remove the ending credits and part of the beginning and oftentimes that doesn't do the trick.

I have a 200 gb hard drive that is almost full and have been looking for a good price on another one. Used for nothing but movies.

Is it safe to assume that there isn't a place around here that people can post at regarding how big each movie is? That would be a GREAT database to have access to.

Thanks,

Blesum

Comment

• blesum
                • Aug 2004

If no go, I could just take your suggestion a step further by deleting the other movies I've already burned successfully onto one disc and keep the bigger ones I run into trouble with until DL media becomes more affordable. I'd free up a lot of my disk space that way. A pack rat mentality does not work very well for this.

-Blesum

Comment

• Phytrax
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Jul 2004

I've had some moies where just the main title is over 8gb. I have no idea if there is a database out there like that. This forum is intended for legitimate backups only, so most people would just insert the movie and see how big it is.

Comment

• Soulhunter
                    • Mar 2004

Maybe I understood you wrong, but...

You play your burned DVD @ your PC ???

Why dont you compress them with MPEG4 then...

With XviD you can compress a movie 25% (or more) down, without visible quality loss !!!

And this comment is from a guy that considers most DVD's quality as low...

Bye

Member of E.V.I.L. Corp. 2003 ® - Website in progress...

Comment

• ziadost
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

you shouldn't be able to notice any artifacts on either of your tv's, especially with an S-Video connection. I use a component connection, and i can hardly notice anything
                      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...