Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bill1
    • Aug 2004

DVD Player problems

Dear friends.... I'm new to this forum and have been fighting a dvd play problem. I have 2 computers for my grandkids and are just about the same. Both have the same OS(Wind98se) and same basic hardware. Nothing fancy. One has a Pacific Digital dvd player, the other a Hitachi dvd player. Both have Power DVD 3.0 installed. Only one will play dvd's with macrovision protection.The other generates the error about tv out not working properly. Video cards are a little different. The one that works well has an ATI rage card, the other is a Visiontek GF2ti. Is my problem with the Visiontek card on the unit that does not work? OR is there is another problem I'm dealing with? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks...... Bill1
  • GeneralLeoFF
    • Sep 2003

Unfortinitly this is a complicated problem to pin down. It is true that video cards with TV_Out onboard can cause macrovision problems, however it could be a combanation of a bunch of other things along with the TV_Out as well that preventing it from working.

I am sure it is possable for that GF2 Ti to be able to play DVDs as I use a GF2 Ti with TV_Out to do the same. Though mine is an Xtasy.

However off hand I couldent tell you where the problem is without being at the computer to tinker with stuff.

You may want to try using a later version of Power DVD or even try other players like WinDVD and nVIDIAS own nVDVD. If anything is going to work on a GF card without these problems I would say it would be nVIDIAS own software as I doubt they would allow these problems .

Comment

• bill1
      • Aug 2004

Thanks.... My video card is an Xtasy also.. I believe it has an svideo out port. Is there a way that the tvout port on the video card itself can be disabled? A jumper or dipswitch?

Thanks and thanks for ur reply.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
        • Sep 2003

Really the TV_Out on most video cards is a total pain in the butt to even get working in the forst place. I know of no setting anywhere that will disable it.

I forgot to mention drivers. Be sure to get the latest offical drivers for the card and wondows 98 from nvidias website if you have not already.

Something I would try though it proly wont make much diffrence (I would still try myself if they where my computers) is to pull the video cards out and swap systems and see if it does anything good.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Actually, installing OLDER drivers may be the solution!

The following MAY be pertinent to your situation:

There have been several postings over the past few months regarding this specific matter. The solution is to download and install the older NVidia driver(s)...

"The 41.09 and future drivers have more stringent checks in the driver to comply with the latest Macrovision requirements. If the TV encoder does not support Macrovision, you will get the "Macrovision Distribution Failed" error message or a similar message depending on which DVD software player you are using. The BT868 and Conexant CX25870 TV encoders do not support Macrovision. If your graphics card is equipped with one of these TV encoders, then it will not support DVD playback with our 41.09 drivers and above."

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
            • Sep 2003

hmm I wonder what freak of nature is at work with my BT868 that allows it to play DVDs then... TV-Out is a funky thing indeed .

Comment

• bill1
              • Aug 2004

dvd playback problems

Thanks for the replies..... On the computer that will not run dvds, I have the latest nvidia drivers (61 something). I will go back and install something before 41.09. I wonder if Omega Nvidia drivers 41.09 or earlier would work? They are customized nvidia drivers and work well. I had their latest (45 something) and they would not allow dvds to be played. Will let you folks know if this works....

Comment

• bill1
                • Aug 2004

Wow installing 40.72 drivers solved the problem!!! Thanks people.
                I've emailed Nvidia airing my gripes and asking them to create a patch or another fix. If they won't or can't I guess we are stuck with these old drivers. Maybe a switch to an ATI video card would be a solution unless they are plagued with the same Macrovision problem......

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                  • Sep 2003

Yea there not going to create a patch or a fix for the new drivers. It's the world we live in. nVIDIA is covering there butt but kissing the MPAA's butt. For nVIDA to release a patch to allow older none compliant cards to work with the newest drivers they set themself up to get in trouble themselves. I wounder if I can get in trouble cuz my card is working perfictly fine on the latest drivers but is no compliing with macrovision protections...

If it has the ability to be used to copy something they assume you will do it so it gets blocked. even in yer case when it only blocks lagitimate fair use of software and hardware you paid for.

Well glad to see it;s all working for you now yo

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"Wow installing 40.72 drivers solved the problem!!! Thanks people."
                    My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...