Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fire2ash
    • Aug 2004

DVD9 movies and ps2 compatibility

I recently bought Hero (jet li movie) extended directors cut on DVD. Now the movie is ALL region yet DVD9 format. I put it in the ps2 and it does not work, gives me the classic DRE (disc read error), I know its not my ps2 because i have fixed it numerous times (by cleaning etc.) and works with all other dvd's. It barely makes any noise and simply refuses to load. Now, I asked the sellers and they said it should work with all dvd players, including ps2. I have one of the older ps2's (i bought it like when it first came out) and the dvd remote driver.

I have a feeling that ps2's do not play newer DVD9 movies and I need a mod chip to play them, but if thats the case will modern DVD players (non-ps2) play DVD9 movies of such caliber?
  • ziadost
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Hell Yes
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• fire2ash
      • Aug 2004

Thank God, I just bought another DVD player, ahh the money one spends to play things they want immediately (remembers buying Network adaptor and headset for about and SCT).

But im wondering, is it just that the movie is incompatible with the ps2? Because i know it plays DVD9 games, why shouldn't it play movies?

Comment

• Phytrax
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Jul 2004

MOST movies are DVD9. I would have suggested exchanging the disk first.

Comment

• ziadost
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

ps2 is not what i would call a reliable dvd player... wasn't there some outrage a while a go about how it scratched discs and didn't play certain dvd's? great console though
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• fire2ash
            • Aug 2004

Scratched discs? not that i know of. But what happens is the laser is shoddily made, so it wares out and becomes affected by the dust quickly. My ps2 got to the point where it didn't read ANY discs, at first it was only certain games, and certain ps1 games. All I had to do was open it up, and clean every thing with alhcohol, including the lasers eye. Since then, it happened once more and i did the same routine and it worked perfectly again.

What makes me upset, is i got my ps2 for $300 when it first came out. Yet people who pay $150 for it get a built in receiver and silent fan, I don't think thats fair, I wish you could trade your ps2 and get a newer one at a least a small discount Although I have heard that older ps2's boot up DVD backups and CD backups..mmm have to try that.

Also, I didn't exchange the disc, I bought another DVD player. Needless to say it worked flawlessly on the new one, and I have to say it was one strangely good movie. Yet whats even stranger is that its....strange....Anyways I cant wait till 'Hero' open in theaters next week or so, I wonder what Quentin Tarrantino has got in store for us?
            Last edited by fire2ash; 14 Aug 2004, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Working...