• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • david.favin
    • Aug 2004

DVD Experiment

Troops:

In investigating the jerkiness in a DVD presentation I did the following:
    I made a copy of a movie (Spiderman...not bad) on a DVD -R disk. The disks are a no name product purchased at a computer show...50 for$15.00 so it can't be all that good but they are fine for this experiment.
    I used SHRINK and READYNOW DX to prepare the disk.
    I then made a copy of this disk using another disk from the purchased lot. The copy was also made using READYNOW.

I then viewed the disk using POWER DVD in a TOSHIBA SATELITE PRO laptop. It ran fine for 23 minutes at which point it started to get jerky. I stopped the play, removed the disk and inserted the copied disk. I then initiated the play at the point where the first disk started to get jerky. The playing proceeded fine, without jerkiness. The first disk had been set aside. After about 20 minutes the second disk started to fail in the same jerky manner. I stopped the playing again and inserted the first disk. Once again I started the play at the point where the second disk had exhibited the jerkiness and now the first disk played just fine from that point .

I think you get the idea now that the disk, while just slightly warm to the touch, seems to be failing (getting jerky) due to the heat inside the laptop. I am not talking "Hot". I meanjust warm.

I am not that familiar with the DVD process but something dimensionally is changing on the metalized surface of ther DVD and causing the jerkiness. Has any one a recommended disk that has dimensional stability under heated conditions?

Has anyone an explanation of what might be happening?

David
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"Has any one a recommended disk that has dimensional stability under heated conditions?"

I would suggest that you purchase some Ritek media.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To david.favin

For a meaningful experiment, you should play the burned DVDs in a standalone DVD player as well as your laptop.

If the behaviour is the same in the standalone, it would be apparent that the problem lies with the media...

Comment

• LordRPI
        • Sep 2004

Good point. I would definately want to check if it would work in a standalone player.

Being the Zealot I am, I would suggest using Apple's media. Unless things have changed recently, they've been hailed as one of the best DVD-R's

Comment

• david.favin
          • Aug 2004

Re: DVD Experiment

Originally posted by david.favin
          Troops:

In investigating the jerkiness in a DVD presentation I did the following:
          I made a copy of a movie (Spiderman...not bad) on a DVD -R disk. The disks are a no name product purchased at a computer show...50 for$15.00 so it can't be all that good but they are fine for this experiment.
          I used SHRINK and READYNOW DX to prepare the disk.
          I then made a copy of this disk using another disk from the purchased lot. The copy was also made using READYNOW.

I then viewed the disk using POWER DVD in a TOSHIBA SATELITE PRO laptop. It ran fine for 23 minutes at which point it started to get jerky. I stopped the play, removed the disk and inserted the copied disk. I then initiated the play at the point where the first disk started to get jerky. The playing proceeded fine, without jerkiness. The first disk had been set aside. After about 20 minutes the second disk started to fail in the same jerky manner. I stopped the playing again and inserted the first disk. Once again I started the play at the point where the second disk had exhibited the jerkiness and now the first disk played just fine from that point .

I think you get the idea now that the disk, while just slightly warm to the touch, seems to be failing (getting jerky) due to the heat inside the laptop. I am not talking "Hot". I meanjust warm.

I am not that familiar with the DVD process but something dimensionally is changing on the metalized surface of ther DVD and causing the jerkiness. Has any one a recommended disk that has dimensional stability under heated conditions?

Has anyone an explanation of what might be happening?

David
          Pursusing this matter a bit more. I glommed a Memorex disk and recorded (Lion in Winter) and played this on the Toshiba laptop. There was no jerkiness in the presentation.

Going back to the Spiderman disks. when these are played in a regular well ventilated computer i.e. not a laptop, the presentation is without jerkiness all the way through the movie.

PLaying the Spiderman disks in a stand alone DVD player I do experience the jerkiness. This gets progressively worse as time goes on until the picture completely freezes. It is to be noted that this does not happen with the original commercial Spiderman DVD.
          The original does not suffer either in the Toshiba laptop or the standalone DVD.

The conclusion is that one must be careful in choosing the blank DVD. I stgill do not know what one looks for but there definitely is an importance difference in the temperature stability of a DVD.

David

Comment

Working...