Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kasdarack
    • Sep 2004

bad frames - manual replacement?

I'm transcoding some anime music videos into mpeg 2 for a DVD project. I tried to use an all in one program, but Nero Vision Express 2 kept crashing on certain vids and made glitchy dvds so I'm using TMPGEnc to transcode the videos. I'll do the authoring later...
    Anyway, my question is this:
    No matter what I try with the settings, a certain vid is having problems. The video itself has some neat effects like faded in and out overlays and this all looks great in the avi. But in the mpeg after the fadeout in each sequence there is a frame with block noise that looks like leftover data from the previous frame (no problems on the fade in). I don't know what would cause this as there is nothing of the sort in the source file. Normally this wouldn't be a huge deal, but these effcts really make the video and I can't stand to see them butchered. Is there a solution to this during the transcoding process? If not, I have an idea: as it is only one frame that is glitchy each time, and the next frame is nearly identical but without the block noise, is there any sort of program that will let me go in and replace the frames one at a time by hand? like copy the next frame and paste it in the problem frame's spot? and if I did this would I have to split the audio and video first to keep the audio intact and then rejoin them? This project is driving me nuts, if anyone can help I'd /REALLY/ appreciate it.
    Thanks much
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"is there any sort of program that will let me go in and replace the frames one at a time by hand?"

(For the .AVI) VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod...

Comment

• Kasdarack
      • Sep 2004

Yeah...the problem is that apparently the .AVI is fine, the bad frames only appear after converting to mpeg2.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"the problem is that apparently the .AVI is fine, the bad frames only appear after converting to mpeg2"

Although that may SEEM to be the case, chances are the bad frames do exist in the .AVI - and your player is simply capable of reading past them. Try the following:

1) Load the .AVI into the most recent version of VirtualDubMOD (Different than VirtualDub)

2) Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"

3) Select "Check for errors"

4) Select "Mask bad frames"

5) Save with a new filename

Comment

• Kasdarack
          • Sep 2004

Ok, I'll give that a whirl after I get done with my tons of freakin homework. Thanks setarip! I'll post again later and let you know if it worked out. And I'll have another question, but I'll look around and see if it hasn't already been answered before I post it.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks setarip!"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Kasdarack
              • Sep 2004

Nope, no bad frames in the .avi
              Are there any good programs I can use to edit mpeg2 frame by frame? Will Adobe Premier do it?

-edit-

Actually, scrolling though the frames myself I did find the blocky frames. VirtualDubMod just didn't consider them bad when it scanned. Oh well. I've gone up and clicked "Mask Selected Frames" each time I've come to a bad one, we'll see how it works when I'm done. Hopefully this masking won't affect the audio/video sync. (Maybe that's a stupid question, but on this subject I'm a noob)

Wish me luck.
              Last edited by Kasdarack; 24 Sep 2004, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Wish me luck."

Good luck!

Comment

• Kasdarack
                  • Sep 2004

Well...
                  I've gone through every single frame of the .avi in virdualDubMod and selcted and masked each bad one. Then I've gone to save as and saved the movie with a different filename, but when I later open the new file it still has the bad frames and they are not masked. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just give up on this one? I'm about tired of this freakin dvd-project. I've spent more time than is healthy trying to make an AMV dvd for a friend of mine when I should have been learning calculus instead =P
                  What can I do to fix this vid?

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"Should I just give up on this one?"

Sounds like a distinct possibility...

Comment

• Kasdarack
                      • Sep 2004

Yeah I think I'll move on to something else. I'll probably have another question at some point. Thanks for putting up with this one and helping out, that's really cool of you =)

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"Thanks for putting up with this one and helping out, that's really cool of you"

As always, my pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...