Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msteis
    • Oct 2004

Audio Files & Subpicture Questions

When Re-authoring in DVD Shrink, I want to back up the main movie only. In the compression settings tab of the main title, there are about (5) audio files. I understand that I can choose not to include foreign languages, but what's the second 2-ch English file? Also, am I correct that I do not need the Director's Comment audio file (if it's there)?

One more please. What's the subpicture? I know as far as compression goes, it doesn't make much difference. Do I need it for just the movie?

Thanks for the help guys. I've only been messing with this for a few days and am a little "green" on the dvd file structures.

msteis
  • OsoMarron
    • Oct 2003

usually, a movie comes with 5-channel english and 2-channel english. You can keep either of them (I recomend you keep 5-ch and ditch 2-ch)

The director's comment inclusion is up to you. Not really necessary.

As for the subpicture, it's the subtitles. It occupies an extremely low amount of space, so it's the same to keep it or ditch it
    codecs.. all the codecs you can get...
    what for? anime! what else?

Comment

• msteis
      • Oct 2004

Just out of curiosity, what's the 2 channel english for if the 5 channel english covers all? Am I giving up some compatability by not including the 2 channel enlish?

Thanks,

msteis

Comment

• OsoMarron
        • Oct 2003

i always keep the 5 channel audio only, and i usually use it on a 2 channel device. It works just fine.
        codecs.. all the codecs you can get...
        what for? anime! what else?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Just out of curiosity, what's the 2 channel english for if the 5 channel english covers all? Am I giving up some compatability by not including the 2 channel enlish?"

Typically, the 2 channel audiostream is straightforward stereo - and is a significantly smaller filesize. The purpose of this type of audiostream is to make the DVD UNIVERSALLY playable (some older players do not have the ability to downmix 5.1 audio, which is necessary for those without surroundsound setups).

Comment

Working...