X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubicat
    • Nov 2004

Software that deskews video?

Hello All,

I videotaped my son's christening by setting up my camera on a tripod in the church's balcony. Unfortunately I was in a rush to set it up and the tripod was tilted slightly to the left. So what I've got is video that is skewed about 5-degrees.

Does anyone know of any software that will deskew video? I know of a few editing programs that will rotate video, but they all only do it in 90-degree increments, not the 5-degrees that I need.
  • Floppy

Boy oh boy

This is what I call learning from another mans mistakes as well as my own...

Your wife is gonna remember this....

I dont really know the answer but I wish you good luck, my friend....

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

VirtualDub's internal "Rotate2" filter will allow rotation of as little as 1/1,000th of 1 degree...

Comment

• rubicat
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Floppy Your wife is gonna remember this....
        Trust me, if I don't fix it, she will never let me forget it.

@setarip:

Cool...I looked at VirtualDub a while ago but I've never used it. I tried "rotate2" on some AVIs that I have and it works great. Now I just have to figure out how to open my video in VirtualDub. They are mpeg2 files (.mpg) that my hardware capture card saves as. Do I have to convert them to AVI? If so, what's the best way to go about that?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Now that you've mentioned the video is MPEG-2, I will advise you to use VirtualDubMOD instead of the standard VirtualDub (standard VirtualDub doesn't process MPEG-2). VirtualDubMOD makes the same internal filters available.

VirtualDubMOD will convert your video to .AVI format (It will NOT output anything other than .AVI). You'll probably want to use a DivX codec for video compression and an .MP3 codec for audio compression.

Make certain to select the "Rotate 2" filter and NOT the "Rotate" filter...

P.S. At least you remembered to bring both your wife and the baby to the christening ;>}
          Last edited by setarip; 16 Nov 2004, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• rubicat
            • Nov 2004

Thanks a lot for your help setarip.

Will I lose much quality doing this? You recommend a DivX codec...Is this to save space? I have lots of disk space available (100GB) and I am more concerned with preserving quality. Having said this, do you still think that DivX would be best?

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Thanks a lot for your help setarip."
              My pleasure ;>}

If you set the DivX codec for a high bitrate (feel free to experiment), you won't lose quality. You'd be amazed at how large an UNcompressed .AVI file can be!

Comment

Working...