X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kowderoi
    • Oct 2003

Capture card for Internet TV

Hello all,
    I’d like to set up my PC so I can record TV programs received over the Internet (ADSL). My ISP (Free, in France) has given me a modem (called the “FreeBox”) with a SCART plug and cable, which can be hooked up to my TV directly. I want to direct the signal to a PCI capture card which will allow me to record programs (compressed) on my hard drive. As far as I can tell, I must do the following:
    1. Hook up a SCART-to-“composite/S-VSH/RCA” adapter (which I already have) to the cable coming from the modem, naturally with the transfer direction set to “out”, or from the Modem, in the SCART side and out the “composite/S-VSH/RCA” side.
    2. Plug a composite video cable (male-to-male, yellow) and an RCA-to-RCA (male-to-male) audio cable into the adapter on one end, and into a PCI (or external) capture card on the other end.
    Seems pretty straightforward, but I haven’t got the capture card. I've got a relatively old system (Abit KT7A/XP1800+/SDRAM, etc.).
    Q1: Can anyone recommend a decent capture card which will take a composite video plug and RCAs? So far I’ve seen cards with FireWire. If there’s anything as improbable as a SCART-to-FireWire adapter out there, please let me know!
    Q2: Do all capture cards do hardware compression? I think I’ll need it here to keep the load on my processor down (if I’ve understood correctly…).
    Q3: What capture software can a body use? VirtualDub, Adobe Premiere, etc., or just the bundled software that comes with the card?

Thanks for any insight!

kowderoi
  • mfem
    • Jan 2006

Here is a link to some Video Capture Cards which should help
    http://www.cworld.com.au/order_onlin...capture%20card

Comment

Working...