Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raptorgta
    • Nov 2004

No video playback on anything

Hello, I've been trying to get windows media player to work for about a week and I'm hopeing someone here can help me out.

This problem started just out of no where with my media player. I can hear the sound but no video. I have installed and uninstalled many codec packs and even uninstalled midea player 10 and used media player 9. This problem affects all video files so I don't think it is a codec problem but I may be wrong. I have also tried something call VLC media player and it also doesn't work. The only way I can get windows media player to work is to open the file with the VLC player and after it starts open the same file with windows media player. Then I have video. GSpot says the codec 4CC is XVID then says I have 3 compatible codecs installed. They are XviD MPEG-4 Codec, 3ivx D4 Video Codec, and XviD MPEG-4 Video Decoder. I have know idea what happened to WMP but I hope someone can help. Thanks
    Attached Files
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Twenty-two minutes of XviD video with .MP3 audio and 853Mb filesize? Not very likely...

Have you PREVIOUSLY played this video successfullY?

Just for kicks and giggles (and more detail than Gspot):

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• raptorgta
      • Nov 2004

Yes I have played this video on my laptop just fine and on other computers as well. I have the info from nandub below.
      Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

If your O/S is WinXP, perform a "System Restore" back to the last time WMP10 performed properly.

If that doesn't resolve your problem, try using the good ol' reliable Windows Media Player 6.4 instead. Install as follows:

Desktop>>Start>>Run Type MPLAYER2.EXE
        Last edited by setarip; 24 Nov 2004, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• ziadost
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

try downloading & installing "ffdshow"
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• raptorgta
            • Nov 2004

O.K. I installed ffdshow and that didn't do anything and I also tried mplayer2 and it also didn't work. I have tried to do a system restore before but it doesn't work. System restore will act like it is doing what it is suposed to do thet when the computer reboots it says windows can not revert to an earlier time or ssomething to that effect. Thanks for the help and keep the ideas comming.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Sounds like things are REALLY fouled up. Perhaps it's time to do a full reinstallation of Windows...

Comment

• raptorgta
                • Nov 2004

For the love of God don't say that. It would take a week to get Windows close to what I got now.

Comment

Working...