Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • minky69
    • Nov 2004

Standalone DivX players

I’ve noticed an increasing number of standalone DVD players on the market that playback DivX movies and have been thinking of getting one. One thing that made me stop and think is subtitles. Does anyone know if there are standalone players that can handle any of the common formats of subtitles in conjunction with a DivX movie? Going a little further I like the idea of the Micro DVD software. Does any one know of a standalone player that can understand this “format” or something similar.

In short it would be ideal if I could burn DVDs that would play in a standalone player have a few DivX movies on them that essentially contained all the features of the original DVD, menus, subtitles, extras etc..
  • Floppy

I would think that if you convert say a normal DVD to divx and then play it back on one of these standalone players that they would just recognise the streams on the divx file.

I would have to try this but I dont have a standalone that supports divx playback...

anyone?

Comment

• D-Dan
      • Aug 2004

Mine plays DivX (and the firmware is upgradeable for new formats) - Philips model, and AFAIK, it does support subtitles. Not actually got any subtitled DivX to check, tho'.

Comment

• Floppy

oh well

Comment

• Floppy

anyone else?

Comment

• minky69
            • Nov 2004

I’ve just bought a Philips (DVP720SA) it’s supposed to handle subtitles. I think quite a few of their players do. Just so you know it doesn’t look like the DVP720SA is available in all regions (plays different region discs though). It looks like Phillips players with numbers in the 600s seem to handle subtitles.

I think it’s a bit premature to hope for a widely used pseudo DVD structure compatible with DivX, i.e. to get a standalone player that can mimic a whole DVD in DivX, but I maybe I’m wrong…

Comment

• Floppy

I dont know if there is one either but I am sure it can be done...

There is already software that allows subtitles to be played in conjuction with a divx file... On a PC though...

Comment

Working...