X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

what codecs?

my pc is new with nothin on it, xp home sp1 right now.
    what codecs do i need to suit just about any file i can throw at this thing. i also use tmpgenc and dvd author.

i have tried codec packs and tmpgenc freezes on me most of the time. before it never, never failed me.

ty
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

• jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

To find out what individual codes you need for certain video files, you need to download G Spot. At the bottom of my post, its the last link that is in purple.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

ty i know what those programs are for, and i already have g-spot.
      i never really had to use it because with the codec pack and a couple other small codecs and updates i could play anything.

it was pretty sweet. i just got my pc back from upgrade.
      nothin is the same anymore. after i install ace mega codec pack,
      i should be able to play a basic divx file no problem, now it starts with like lines in it for the first few seconds, then seems ok, but audio poor.

windows media player classic though has good audio--really good. what the heck?the video looks the same even through power dvd player and divx player. i never had any trouble with codecs before. and i have tried so many kinds of packs and variations. am i missing something? windows and the drivers installed fine.

how do you really interpret the codec needed for g-spot anyway?
      i'm so frustrated with this pc i am so close to smashing it to smithereens.

ty in advance
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

There is no all-in-one codec answer - you need to open a problem file in G-Spot or VirtualDubMod and post the 'file info' screenshot here for identifictaion of your codec requirements.
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

If you are referring primarily to playback, download and install the FFDShow filter/codec. It should address most, if not all, of your playback requirements...

Comment

Working...