Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alover2
    • Dec 2004

Program for Cataloging DVDs

Hey Guys, I've got over 300 DVDs and a Sony 300 and 200 disc DVD player. What I'm trying to do is find a program that will allow me to insert my DVD in the drive, a internet database would figure out what DVD I have and create a database for me to print out so I can keep track of my DVDs so I don't buy the same DVD twice.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

The latest news, guides and downloads for digital video (DVD, Blu-ray, DivX, Xvid ...), HD, 3D and gaming

Comment

• TRI0N
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Dec 2004

Yes that Web-Site is Great.

However if your looking for a something that is local and does not require that you are online then I would get Movie Collector 4.3 from Collectorz.Com. I don't know about any Insert DVD Feature but this program can find your CD's based on the product UPC Code or Title Name.

I recommend that you use the following Database to obtain information in the following order:

Amazon US
      All Movies Guide
      IMDB

Using them in this order will alow any UPC Code searches to pull the title name so that the others can find the information. Amazon US will look up the UPC then tell the other DB's the Title to search for information on that DVD.
      Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• windtrader
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Feb 2002

There is no standard format written on every DVD for the meta data. Things like title, distributor, etc. Thus there is no program that will be able to pick up this information and look it up from something like IMDB. Even if you have a title, you will often get multiple hits and then would have to manually pick anyway.

DVD Profiler or Movie Collector are two good programs for loading your own DVD database. DVD Profiler has a nice feature that includes a bar code reader feature so it can scan the bar code off the box and look up the info automatically.

Comment

• TRI0N
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Dec 2004

Yes Movie Collector also alow you to use the Bar Code Scanner aswell. I have not looked into DVD Profiler yet and just about to do so before I decide which of the 2 are worth paying for.

Just make sure you use Amazon as your first search results so that it can tell the other DB's the correct titles. Amazon is the only DB that find titles by UPC Code.

Amazon: Pimps Info based on UPC Code
          All Movies Guide: Pimp the Cover Pictures (Best images then the rest) and Great Plot Information.
          IMDB: Pimps Viewer Scores 1-10 and extra movie information.
          Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• windtrader
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Feb 2002

@TRION - I use MC now exclusively and don't enter by UPC as it is problematic to have them handy.

I enter by title name in this order: AMG, DVD Empire, then IMDB. I asked around the MC forum when I was starting it up about the best order for sources. I ended up pretty much trial and error going without Amazon at all.

The data loading options are good but a bit lacking in that you can not associate which fields should be pulled from which source. I ended up with these source and order since it gave the best overall loading of the actors, plot, etc.

I'll try Amazon for fun to see what happens but I think I did this in the past and it filled in some fields I wanted to pull from the others.

Comment

• TRI0N
              Digital Video Technician
              Digital Video Technician
              • Dec 2004

Ugh, pfffft!

Ok now I've tired DVD Empire too.. But ughness there is a problem.

Amazon has an excellent Plot information while DVD Empire has great movie front and back covers.. Now I just wish there was a way to customize what DB's gives you what information. What a bummer. Thats the only thing lacking in MC and if you could just toggle off Front Cover from Amazon then my Database would be perfected.
              Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• TRI0N
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Dec 2004

Excellent!

You can select where to get the covers from in the Add New Movie Search Query. By click the Setting Button you can tell it where to get the movie covers from.

My new Search Order Follows:
                Amazon US
                All Movies Guide
                DVD Empire
                IMDB

This works very well.
                Last edited by TRI0N; 25 Dec 2004, 11:41 AM.
                Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

Working...