X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

NERO burning

i use nero oem that came with my burner and i use nero express on it to burn dvd's. when i put these certain discs in it to burn i select 1x and it satrts burning at 4x everytime. the seller says this is normal for some discs. needless to say the playback is great, but why can i not select a slower speed?the discs had no manufacturer name on them so i don't know what make they are, they were cheaper kind. but playback is very good.

IS IT TRUE THAT SOME DISCS HAVE A MINIMUM OF 4X BURN SPEED(dvd-r)? OR IS NERO MESSED UP? my princo dvd-rw is a 1x only and has no problems either.(so it always burns at 1X)
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

• jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Are you burning on the fly with DVD Shrink?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

nope, not using dvd shrink at all. nero wont let me choose a lower speed , it always takes the max of the disc
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"nero wont let me choose a lower speed"

When, in NERO, you click on "Burn" do you see a little "window" with the burn speed indicated in it ("4X" based on what you've said)? If so, there's a little black downarrow to the right of it. Click on the downarrow and select the desired speed...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

ty setarip, i am well aware of that. i need to be clear here. i CAN select 1x, but when it goes into the burn screen it starts the process at 2x. this was never the case on these memorex 1x-2x dvd-rw discs.

are there settings in nero that i can check? the oem suite came with a program called "incd" is this needed? it seemed like an optional install.

what should i try?
            ty very much
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

"FAQ: How do I set the burning speed?

In Nero:

If you are using Nero for burning - you can't change the setting. The maximum writing speed is default."

i don't know who wrote this but, it is simply false. i have done what i am trying to do with nero before, thus it can be done.(no offense jmet). perhaps an older version of nero it is refering to.

ty very much.
              Columbo moments...

Comment

• TRI0N
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Dec 2004

Well there is a newer version of Nero. You have the 6.0 OEM entiles you to update to 6.6.0.5 of Nero.

Download Pack 1 form their update site here:
                Nero Upgrade Center - Comparez nos produits Nero ! Mise à niveau vers la dernière version ✓ Aperçu de tous les produits Nero ✓ Caractéristiques ►Mise à niveau maintenant !
                Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

ty trion i may do that. this worked before without the update though. i also found that when i use the cd burner(of my dvd writer) to burn a music file it also takes the max burn speed(and is greyed out). when i switch to my old cd burner(just a cd burner) it will now allow different speeds.what the heck?

so, it seems its the writer that is preventing slower burn speeds.
                  could this be?

please help! i also tried to use the writing tool in tmpgenc dvd author 1.6 and it also wants to burn at max speed!
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

• cynthia
                    Super Moderatress
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by columbo999
                    i don't know who wrote this
                    I'm the one to blame.

It's true if you burn from inside DVD Shrink - it will go for max speed. Burning with Nero on it's own - you can change the speed.

I've rewritten the FAQ so it don't confuse the reader.

Have you checked out if there is any new firmware for your burner?
                    Last edited by cynthia; 15 Jan 2005, 05:58 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

firmware update was done. and i have never used dvd shrink.
                      it was the writing tool for dvd author 1.6.

i can burn at various speeds on my cd burner.(drive f:\)

i CANNOT burn at various speeds on my dvd/cd writer(drive E:\).(even though i can set it to what i want, it ALWAYS BURNS AT MAX SPEED!

what can i do?
                      help!someone!please!
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• TRI0N
                        Digital Video Technician
                        Digital Video Technician
                        • Dec 2004

The new media sounds like it does not have an Available Write Descriptor to burn at 1x Speed.

Example from DVDInfo Pro on Media Information on Verbatim 8x DVD+R:
                        Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
                        Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps
                        Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps

Nero will only show 4x as the slowest speed I can write for this media.
                        Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• TRI0N
                          Digital Video Technician
                          Digital Video Technician
                          • Dec 2004

Meaning its not your burner. Sorry ment to say that.
                          Cheers!

TRI0N

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

trion i am using memeorex 1x-2x speed dvd-rw discs. i burned them on 1x before. so what can you suggest?
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...