Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WooK
    • Jun 2004

getting ntsc vhs tapes onto dvd

I have a sharp DVHR300 dvd recorder and have connected my vhs player to it and copied a hundred vhs tapes to dvd. But I have ten tapes that are ntsc and the recorder doesnt recognise ntsc input. I'm guessing the only thing i can do is do it through the pc. Can anyone tell me how I can do this.I have a dvd burner but no where to connect the vhs player. What else do i need?
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

I'm pretty certain the limiting factor is your player is vhs. It's vhs regardless of what you plug the output into?
    Following your argument however, you would need a graphics or tv card with a tv-in socket, s-video or RCA connectors and a capture program.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• WooK
      • Jun 2004

this is in my dvd recorders manual : 'Since this recorder is compatible with the PAL format, use discs that contain the letters PAL on the disc or package. NTSC and PAL-60 signals cannot be recorded. (a black screen is shown when NTSC or PAL-60 signals are input to the external input.'

My vhs player plays both pal and ntsc tapes. When u connect the vhs player to the dvd recorder and try and record an ntsc tape to dvd, the ntsc signal is turned into a pal-60 signal which cannot be recorded by the recorder but if the player is connected direct to the tv can be played by the tv.

thanks for the info dude

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

My apologies Wook, for some unfathomable reason I was looking at VHS and reading PAL!

As I mentioned, a tv-input is what you require. Something like a Dazzle USB2 or similar should do if your PC is USB2. Otherwise, it might be worth investing in an internal PCI tv card with an s-video or RCA input.

..or you could use this as an excuse to buy a DV camera with firewire or USB2
        Last edited by sfheath; 27 Jan 2005, 04:51 AM.
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...