X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    • Mar 2002

AVI Info and DivX

Hi,

How can I find out which codecs (sound and/or video) is needed to play a given .avi file?

Are DivX codec interchangeable. For example can a movie encoded with divX 3 be played with DivX 4 and vice versa?

Does MPEG-2 needs a specific codec to be played or can it be decoded by any program that can understand MPEG-2? (Is MPEG-2 codec-dependant?)

Thanks
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

How can I find out which codecs (sound and/or video) is needed to play a given .avi file?

Check the properties in Virtualdub. You'll know if you have a problem if the movie doesn't play right.

Are DivX codec interchangeable. For example can a movie encoded with divX 3 be played with DivX 4 and vice versa?

Mostly, not. However in certain cases divx 3 files may be played with the divx 4. codec. Nonetheless, most people refuse the divx 4installation offer to play all divx 3 content. You can select which codec is used to play a movie by using a software known as the "fourcc codec changer" I believe.

Does MPEG-2 needs a specific codec to be played or can it be decoded by any program that can understand MPEG-2? (Is MPEG-2 codec-dependant?)

Yes. You can download the codec from vcd-help.com or check divx-digest.com Windows Media might be able to play it. Most people, however use WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Comment

Working...