X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe113
    Menu hater
    • Feb 2005

Is it possible to remove widescreen?

Hi, I'm kinda new to the dvd ripping game and I was wondering is it possible to remove the widescreen format from the dvd and change it to 4:3?

Tnx,

Joe.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

you could change it with tempgenc, but why would you want to?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• joe113
      Menu hater
      • Feb 2005

I don't have a wide screen television, and the fact that half the screen is wasted by two very big black lines kinda annoys me. Tnx for the advice, I'll check it out.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

no problem, but remember, you will lose some of the picture when you change it to full screen.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• jrfuda
          • Feb 2005

The problem with just cropping the sides off indiscriminately is that you can't tell exactly what you're cutting off. When a studio converts a wide screen feature to 4:3, they do it selectively. That's why it's called pan and scan. You see, they pan the 4:3 box around the wide screen footage to ensure that the important stuff is in the picture, because the important stuff is not always right in the middle of the scene.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

this is why ALL movies/tv should be in widescreen. any time i see a dvd in full screen i wanna take it and smash it to pieces!

even sesame street should be in widescreen....
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• VoodooChild777
              • Feb 2005

Whoa, slow down on the caffine columbo999 ha ha! LOL. In TMPGEnc after you select the file, the project wizard will pop up, click "other Settings" click "advance" in video arrange method you have many choices including "Full Screen keep aspect ratio" this one works well for me. I haven't tried them all but "No Margin keep aspect ratio sounds good also.

Comment

Working...