X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywaxuk
    • Feb 2005

DVD to AVI

Hello treacles,

I am an unadulterated muppet when it comes to DVD ripping and I am having a fundamental problem presently.

I produce lots and lots of videos for various people and reasons, using both adobe Premier 6 and After Effects. After a recent shoot, a colleague provided me with footage on DVD (and not mini DV as requested). Thinking it would be no problem, I tried to import the DVD into premier.

Obviously I am a gimp.

After downloading and paying for various DVD ripping software (winavi being the most recommended) I have managed to rip the footage to avi, but I am still unable to import it into Premier as it keeps telling me that it is an unsupported file format, or that it has an unrecognised codec. I get the same thing when I try to preview the files in windows media player.

I desperately need to provide a rough cut of this film clip by tomorrow afternoon, but being exactly like a bloke asking for directions I've left it until now to plead.

Anyone providing me with a solution that retains my footage quality, without making me feel more nobbish than I already do, gets treated to a photo of me in a candy thong.

Cheers,

Danny
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Do you absolutely need it in .avi format?

Could you use it if it was in .mpeg format?

Comment

• babywaxuk
      • Feb 2005

has to be avi. I have ripped it to mpeg already, but can't use it in premier. any ideas?

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

I use "DVD TO AVI AC3 RIPPER" to convert DVD's to .avi files. But, to my knowledge, it isn't available anymore. I'm sure there are several different programs that can do this, I just do not know of any personally besides the one I use.

An alternative, (some other posters might suggest as well) might be using this method. Although I'm not sure what exact "effects" you are using with "Premier 6 and After Effects" but, might be able to do with TMPGEnc DVD Author (A different program than TMPGEnc).

Quoted By: "setarip"

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined file size of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode - Tutorial Located here on how to do this: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...453#post221453

TMPGEnc- <A HREF="http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_download.html"><FONT COLOR="00CC99"> Click Here To Download TMPGEnc</A></FONT>

TMPGEnc DVD Author- <A HREF="http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html"><FONT COLOR="3399FF"> Click Here To Download A Trial Version of TMPGEnc DVD Author</A></FONT>

Comment

• ger@co
          Shrinkslinger, movie only
          • Feb 2004

FlaskMPEG is a free video converter, which I believe will also convert to .avi. I can't be more positive because I haven't tried it personally. Anyway, you can pick it up here to check it out.

Later.
          ger@co rulez "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins). The Silence of the Lambs.

Comment

• babywaxuk
            • Feb 2005

Thanks all, but I really need to use premier. It's taken me four years to understand it, and having tried things like DVD lab pro and pinnacle, I am totally unable to edit footage as it doesn't syncronise sound. This is particularly an issue because I'm making music videos.

D'oh.

Why won't the avi's I've converted to play in windows media, or be recognised by adobe? This whole "codec" thing makes zero sense to me.

Perhaps I'm a div.

Comment

• jmet
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2002

To find out what codec is required to play the .avi on your system. Use GSpot, it tell you the codec you need and if it is installed on your system.

G Spot - <A HREF="http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html"><FONT COLOR="330033"> Click Here To Find Out What Codecs You Need </A></FONT>

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

1) Load the original .AVI video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

Working...