• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ulTRAX
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Jan 2005

Anyone Else HATE Macrovision?

I loathe Macrovision with a passion... not because I want to make cheesy videotape copies of DVDs... who'd want that anyways. I hate it for two reasons. First because Macrovision DVDs and tapes don't play well on my old, but rather expensive, component TV system and I'm not ready to pay for a new set until HDTV prices come down further. The video cycles light to dark and it's annoying as hell. Second it represents how one side, in this case the entertainment industry got their interests protected in the DMCA yet no one stood up for consumers such as myself who are deprived of the enjoyment of the tapes and DVDs we have PURCHASED. Just being able to remove Macrovision from DVDs with products like DVD Shrink is reason enough for me to go though the hassles of making backups.
  • Experi-Mentor
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2004

you might be lucky & find a macrovision hack for your dvd player here :

Comment

• ulTRAX
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Experi-Mentor
      you might be lucky & find a macrovision hack for your dvd player here :
      http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
      Thanks... but I noticed that my PS2 is not on the list. Even if it were, my complaints about the imposition of MV as a matter of law remain.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To ulTRAX

"Macrovision DVDs and tapes don't play well on my old, but rather expensive, component TV system"

There is something odd in your statement. Although you are absolutely correct in asserting that DVDs with Macrovision protection (which encompasses virtually all commercial DVDs) won't playback properly on a system with only conventional RCA A/V connectors or coax, that is not the case with ORIGINAL COMMERCIAL VHS tapes. In the case of VHS tapes, you'll only see the effects of Macrovision (annoying changes in color intensity) if you've copied such a tape...

Just curious - What part of the world are you in?

Comment

• ulTRAX
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Jan 2005

Re: To ulTRAX

Originally posted by setarip
          There is something odd in your statement. Although you are absolutely correct in asserting that DVDs with Macrovision protection (which encompasses virtually all commercial DVDs) won't playback properly on a system with only conventional RCA A/V connectors or coax, that is not the case with ORIGINAL COMMERCIAL VHS tapes. In the case of VHS tapes, you'll only see the effects of Macrovision (annoying changes in color intensity) if you've copied such a tape...

Just curious - What part of the world are you in? [/B]
          USA. My TV setup is an old circa '88 Panasonic Omni Series. While the system had advanced features for its time... 6 RCA inputs... and even RGB, YM, YS, RGB(TTL), it predates S-video which was introduced a few years later. The effect of the light-dark cycling is evident on BOTH commericial VHS tapes and DVDs. If I pause a DVD.... the cycling continues. All this clears up when I view a backup with MV removed.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"The effect of the light-dark cycling is evident on BOTH commericial VHS tapes and DVDs."

If you're seeing this when playing original commercial VHS tapes, it could only be because you have yet another piece of hardware (perhaps a second VCR?) connected directly to the VCR that's playing the original tape...

Comment

• ulTRAX
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by setarip
              "The effect of the light-dark cycling is evident on BOTH commercial VHS tapes and DVDs."

If you're seeing this when playing original commercial VHS tapes, it could only be because you have yet another piece of hardware (perhaps a second VCR?) connected directly to the VCR that's playing the original tape...
              I'd expect problems if I tried to run a MV protected DVD though a VCR. I once brought a DVD to a friend's house to watch and there were not enough cables to hook up a DVD player to the TV without going though their VCR. It displayed all the MV problems we'd expect. In my case there's no extra hardware except the tuner. It is a component system.

To test that I tried a direct VCR to monitor connection... and I still get the light-dark cycling. It's got to be that Macrovision is not compatible with all systems... which come as no surprise to me. When I first got a VCR back in the mid-80's... my set then... an even older TV.... had problems with all pre-recorded VHS tapes. I'd get an image with poor sync... the top of the pictures were skewed. I was told then it was a Macrovision problem.

My loathing of MV goes way back.

Comment

Working...