Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mantis2k
    • Mar 2002

VHS - DVD help

Is it possible for me to backup my PAL home movies to dvd with a Intel Celeron 900, dvd-writer and a standard 40Gb Hard drive??? I need to capture at full-resolution, 25 frames per second without losing any quality. If yes, then please can you recommend what type of capture card/dv device I need and what video codec and format to capture in. Also, are there any guides around for this type of subject?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

Mantis
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Check the guides at divx-digest.com and vcdhelp.com Most likely your dvd writer includes software for creating a dvd. Generally, I think you would need a cable running from your vcr/tv to your PC (your PC will need a tv in card with capturing software). You would then use the dvd software to create a dvd. It should be noted that it will require, possibly a lot of hd space.

In terms of capture cards, the more you pay the more you will get. the Geforce cards are good, as are the ATI, WinTV is a commonly used and relatively cheap card.

Comment

• mantis2k
      • Mar 2002

I already have a cheap capture card (Voodoo3500TV). I tried capturing at full frames uncompressed AVI but it kept dropping frames... I then tried to capture in MPEG-2 using Ulead Media Studio 6 and surprisingly I was able to capture ALL frames but only at low sound quality... Also, Media Studio keeps crashing when I end the capture...

Does anybody know an alternative program for capturing video in MPEG-2???

I've searched everywhere but can't find a thing!

Thanks

Mantis

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

You might want to try capturing at mpeg-1 (it should be less resource intensive). Also, try Virtualdub "file" "capture avi" if you already haven't. You might want to try MGI's Videowave, however I am not sure if it will help. The success of any video capture, depends largely on your hardware specifications, the better the hardware the better the quality. Also, did you check out the "Capture" section of vcdhelp.com? A search on google.com may also bode well.

What are the specifications of your card and system? How about reducing the resolution, you just might want to try it, the difference may not be profound in some cases.

There are numerous capturing softwares available. Do a search at download.com and check the reviews. I'm not sure if Adobe Premiere does a capture.
        Last edited by Batman; 14 Mar 2002, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...