Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ss2005
    • Mar 2005

Playing Hidalgo or Day After Tomorrow

I tried to play the movies on my IBM laptop but each required an install of software for the movie to be played. I installed each movie's software but on Hidalgo - it wouldn't play at all. On Day after Tomorrow it would play but with no sound.

Older DVD movies I don't have a problem with. I assume that the newer DVDs have an additional layer of security or whatever now which is preventing playback on PCs/laptops.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, how do you get around it?

Thanks.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

What program do you use for playing the DVDs?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

i have power dvd 5, everything plays....
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• ss2005
        • Mar 2005

I use Nvidia.

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

ss2005

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Nvidia" refers to your video card. What "Software" player are you using to play the DVDs on your laptop?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"each required an install of software for the movie to be played. I installed each movie's software"

The software ("Hot LLama" for "Day After Tomorrow" and I forget what for "Hidalgo") is not REQUIRED for playback - and may, in fact, interfere with your normal playback software. You should UNinstall this extraneous software and then reboot and then play your DVDs...

Comment

• ss2005
              • Mar 2005

All I know is that the first time that I tried to play a DVD it wouldn't play and then the tech guy at work said that was because the laptop doesn't come with a decoder and that I needed to purchase one. So I bought Nvidia and downloaded it.

Once I installed the decoder I was able to play DVDs until recently. I'm able to watch ie Young Frankenstein. But if I try to watch any brand new current movie - that's when I run into the problem.

Comment

• ss2005
                • Mar 2005

It's strange that you say the extra software that's on the DVD doesn't need to be installed because it wouldn't allow me to play the DVD or let's say go forward with viewing the movie without doing the install.

I will uninstall and see what happens.

Thanks.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"Thanks."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...