Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Technophyle
    • Mar 2005

WINavi error!!

Hello all, this is my first post so I apologoze if this is in the wrong forum!

My question is with WINavi. I have a ligit copy that I just bought today. I installed it, registered it and was able to convert 1 file. Now, every time I try to convert a file I get a message saying "Floating Point Division by Zero". I click OK and the message goes away but the software doesn't do anything. After two hours the FPS were still 0 and it was 0% complete. I have uninstalled and re-installed the software. I have tried several different files to covert and several different formats to convert to.

Anyone ever seen this or heard of it? I pulling my hair out over this and would love some help!

Thanks!

Technophyle
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I don't know of too many people using that software.

1) I'd suggest you email the author/publisher of the software.

2) Did you check the documentation? (Hardcopy, or "Readme.txt" file, or the "Help" dropdown menu?

3) If you try to once again convert your first (only successful) file, is it successful?

4) Are these "problematic" files the same format as the first (successful) one?

Comment

• Technophyle
      • Mar 2005

Thanks for the reply setarip!

I thought this was a popular program. If it's not, is there as similiar tool out there that people are using? (In case you hadn't noticed I am relatively new at this)

To answer your questions:

1. I have emailed their tech support people but haven't heard back yet.

2. Yes, I check the documentation, no help.

3. I have tried to convert the orginal file a second time and it gives the same error.

4. Yes, they are the same type file. They are MPEG2 files from an ATI All-In-Wonder card. More specifically, they are some old VHS tapes that I am converting to DVD. The files are exported from the video card as "composite" and are MPEG2 format. I am using WINavi to conver them to DVD for burning.

Thanks again for yourhelp!

Technophyle

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I have tried to convert the orginal file a second time and it gives the same error."

This would indicate that the program, or a related system file (.DLL) has somehow become corrupted.

"I have uninstalled and re-installed the software."

The fact that this has NOT corrected the problem is disconcerting, to say the least.

If your O/S is WinXP, perform a "System Restore" back to the last time things were working properly.

You might also want to consider an alternative method of performing the desired conversions. One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) If not already DVD-compliant, use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the MPEG to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this (This step may not be necessary, if your MPEG-2 filies are already in DVD compliant format)

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
        (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Technophyle
          • Mar 2005

Again, thanks for the info!

If your O/S is WinXP, perform a "System Restore" back to the last time things were working properly.

Did this and it didn't help!

I have been trying to figure this out for several weeks!! I will certainly give your technique a try, I just want to find somthing that works consistantly!! Nothing elaborate, just something simple that works!

I'll keep you posted on my success as soon as I have some!!!

Regards,

Technopyle

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Again, thanks for the info!"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Technophyle
              • Mar 2005

Ok, here is where I am now! Unfortunately the news isn't good.

1) If not already DVD-compliant, use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the MPEG to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this (This step may not be necessary, if your MPEG-2 filies are already in DVD compliant format

Unfortunatly I downloaded this and tried it several weeks ago. I forgot about it and now the trial period has run out. Screwed again!

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

Downloaded and installed. Seems like a good program but it won't read the files output by my ATI card. It gives me an error about the resolution not being set right.

Can anyone recommend a descent capture progam that works with an ATI card? I have MyDVD and it captures but there is no sound!!! Video looks great but there is no sound!! UGH!!

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Unfortunatly I downloaded this and tried it several weeks ago. I forgot about it and now the trial period has run out. Screwed again!"

1) What were the results of your "trying it"? If it handled your files properly, buy it...

2) This problem apparently can't be too important to you, since you "forgot" about the program that can very likely resolve it for you.

3) "Screwed again!" - By whom or what? Isn't it YOU who "forgot" about it?

Perhaps another poster will be willing and able to help you further...

Comment

• Technophyle
                  • Mar 2005

Somehow I seem to have offended you, for that, I apologize.

1) What were the results of your "trying it"? If it handled your files properly, buy it...

I honestly don't recall. I am very new at this and am still learning.

2) This problem apparently can't be too important to you, since you "forgot" about the program that can very likely resolve it for you.

Important like the way family and my job are important, no. But it's important enough to still be trying to learn and get it working. I am new at this, sorry.
                  And, had I known at the time it was the answer I wouldn't have forgotten about it. But, at the time, I wasn't even sure what the question was!!!

3) "Screwed again!" - By whom or what? Isn't it YOU who "forgot" about it?

This was said in frustration. I was not directing it at anyone or anything. I really do appreciate the help.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"Somehow I seem to have offended you, for that, I apologize."

There's no need to apologize. It's simply, one would expect that if it was important enough for you to initially post your question here seeking a solution, you would be considerate enough (at least in the course of "several weeks") to advise of the results of using suggested solution(s) - as opposed to now saying, "I honestly don't recall."

Of course this is not as important as family, job, or virtually anything else for that matter - this is strictly for personal gratification. This doesn't, however, obviate the need to "make a little effort",, when others have made an effort on your behalf.

As I've said in many postings over the years, I have a very thick skin - so, no, I'm not offended but, I feel I do have the right to ask that you extend the same courtesy to me that I've extended to you.

I AM cognizant of the fact that you are new to these forums and, as such, I hope that you won't be "gunshy" (with regard to future postings) because of this "less-than-perfect" initial outing ;>}
                    Last edited by setarip; 23 Mar 2005, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...