X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adamski31
    • Mar 2005

yamada 6700 mpeg 4 compatibility problem

Hi,
    I have a problem with playing some discs on my new yamada 6700 series mpeg4/divx player.

i get sound, but with no picture.

I have tried to play some episodes of a tv show that will play on windows media - but when i insert them in the yamada - the avi files come up on the menu - i press play on a file - and the background remains the same - with the episode playing with sound - but no picture. the display counter moves on the lcd as if it's playing - but the background remains as if there is no disc in the player.

any suggestions would be really appreciated
    thanks
    Adam
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Do you mean you're getting no picture at all?
    What and how are you connected to?
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• adamski31
      • Mar 2005

Hi, and thanks for replying.

I am getting just the background logo (yamada).

Other discs (dvd, dvd-r, etc) play ok. they just start up like a normal dvd and are fine.

However, when I insert these discs - I get a page come up listing the avi files corresponding to the episodes on each disc. When I click play on each avi file - the folder with the avi files disappears and it goes back to the yamada backing page (like it is when no disc is in the machine). However, there is sound. I am new to mpeg4 and divx (as I'm sure you can tell). any help appreciated
      thanks
      Adam

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

and I can assure you that you know more about DivX than me!

Are these movies you've encoded and burned? If so, does your manufacturers specs stipulate a particular codec?

Fingers crossed that some folk more knowlegeable in mpeg4 are coming online around this time

Comment

• adamski31
          • Mar 2005

I didn't encode and burn them unfortunately - so there's nothing I can say on that front.

I Know that they were recorded from HDTV and will play
          on the PC (using Windows Media Player, etc. - which they do)

and I was also told that they would play on a dvd player with mpeg-4/divx capability - which I have just bought.

thanks for getting back to me so quickly though, and hopefully someone out there will know what the problem is.

cheers

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

They probably use a video codec (XviD, perhaps) that your player doesn't recognize.

In order to determine which codec was used for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• adamski31
              • Mar 2005

Hi and thanks for the suggestion.

I downloaded the virtualdub prog - went to file - opened video file (the file information option wasn't accessible).
              the following message then appeared when i tried to open the original file on the d drive: -

'couldn't locate decompressor for format mp42 (microsoft hi-speed MPEG-4 V2) virtualdub requires a video for windows (vfw) compatible codec to decompress video. directshow codecs, such as those used by windows media player, are not suitable'

thanks

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"decompressor for format mp42"

That's the ORIGINAL Microsoft MPEG-4 video codec (from the 1990s). It's essentially the same as the now famous DIV3.11alpha video codec (which is actually a "hacked" version of the Microsoft codec).

Chances are, your player is only capable of playing "Open Source" DivX (and, perhaps, XviD) - compressed .AVIs.

Read the documentation to determine capabilities/limitations...

Comment

• adamski31
                  • Mar 2005

I checked it and it supports DIV3.11alpha video codec - which is similar (like you say) to the old 90s version.

Comment

• sfheath
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Sep 2003

These two statements seem strange;

"I Know that they were recorded from HDTV and will play
                    on the PC (using Windows Media Player, etc. - which they do)"

.. and ..

"I downloaded the virtualdub prog - went to file - opened video file (the file information option wasn't accessible)."

Seems very odd the PC plays them but VDubMod can't open a file information window.

Anyway, I had wondered if pressing play when highlighting the file was correct but if sounds are playing it probably is.
                    Does the manual give no clue?

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

To sfheath

"Seems very odd the PC plays them but VDubMod can't open a file information window."

Not strange at all. "adamski31" undoubtedly has either the FFDShow filter/codec or 3IVX codec installed - either of which allows playback of most .AVIs without having the actual original codec installed...

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To adamski31

"I checked it and it supports DIV3.11alpha video codec - which is similar (like you say) to the old 90s version."

There is still the possibility that it doesn't support the "MP42" codec.

As an experiment, copy one of these problematic .AVIs to your harddrive. Use a "FOURCC" code changing program to changer the header information from "MP42" to "DIV3". Burn a CD and see if it plays on your new standalone player...

Comment

• adamski31
                          • Mar 2005

thanks for the suggestion - I'll let you know once I've tried it.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

"thanks for the suggestion"

My pleasure ;>}

"I'll let you know once I've tried it"

I look forward to hearing how things turn out...

Comment

Working...