X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mieni
    • Apr 2005

HELP! Video...

Hi all,

I would like to ask for your help and opinions regarding a video issue that I am having on my laptop.

Since some time, I am unable to watch movies (any video format).
    When I am playing any video file with any video player, even with Media Classic Player and mplayer2, after some time (usually 5-10 minutes), the player starts to experience performance problems and the movie starts to slow down until the video and sound dont fit anymore. It like having eaten all the ressources and doesn't have enough memory to keep playing.
    That happens with every film, even DVD's and with every player I ve tried... My computer system is P4 2Ghz, 500 ram, radeon IGP 340M video 32mb, XP SP2. I have made several disk and reg clean-ups, freed some ram, checked for viruses, worms, trojans and spywares, updated my video driver to the lastest, uninstalled all the video/audio codecs and installed again the X Codec Pack and DivX 5.2 pack... Last movie I ve tried was low motion divx 3.11. I closed every application before starting it and even that way, after watching 5-10 min with low ressource video player it started to slow down until it became impossible to watch. The machine goes normally fast by the time;(
    I have no clue anymore and I am asking everybody here for some help before making the last known to me step - format.

Sorry for the long topic and thanks in advance.
    mieni
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have no clue anymore and I am asking everybody here for some help before making the last known to me step - format."

1) Perform a "System Restore" back to the last time things were working properly

2) UNinstall Service Pack 2 (There have been many postings indicating that SP2 has created conflicts regarding video). The proper methods of uninstalling SP2 can be found at:

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• mieni
      • Apr 2005

Thanks for your help seta,

unfortunately I haven't made any restore points so far and for SP2, I checked some SP2 problem related forums and noone had told about video issues. I Just cant see how SP2 could make such a problem to every videoplayer I am playing. It must be something else. I am still open for any suggestions guys.
      Thanks alot.
      mieni

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

mieni

It sounds as if you may have some sort of driver, or other software conflict. As an experiment, play one of your video files that reside on your hard drive in "Safe Mode" to see if it plays normally.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"I checked some SP2 problem related forums and noone had told about video issues. I Just cant see how SP2 could make such a problem to every videoplayer I am playing. It must be something else."

1) You apparently haven't checked any VIDEO-related forums (such as doing a search of THESE forums)

2) If you want to out-of-hand discount the POSSIBILITY that SP2 is the cause of your problem, by all means, don't take the few minutes to uninstall it and find out with certainty - That's your prerogative...
          Last edited by setarip; 7 Apr 2005, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Working...