X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ElectRobert
    • Apr 2005

Join avi files but still split!

Hi all,

I successfully join 2 avi files using Vdub or avijoiner but when I check them with the Gspot it says "Split: Yes". Is there any problem with this? and/or is there a way to eliminate the split?

Thank you in advance
    Robert
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Hello and welcome to the forums. Can you play the "Joined" AVI file sucessfully in a "Software-based" player?

Comment

• ElectRobert
      • Apr 2005

Yes, it playes as if it was always one single avi file. After all the files are the 2 half of the same movie (the same resolution & bitrate).

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

You have indicated that the file plays fine. What else are you seeking to do with this file?

Comment

• ElectRobert
          • Apr 2005

I am trying to understand the techniqe and learn. If it is joined why is it still split in it? And who knows may be in future it will cause problems with newer players.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"And who knows may be in future it will cause problems with newer players."

Do you mean "DVD" standalone players? Not many standalones I know of can play "AVI" files (Uncompressed, DivX or XviD). The file(s) would have to be converted to a "DVD-related" file structure beforehand to be viewed on a conventional standalone player.

Comment

• ElectRobert
              • Apr 2005

I think we established that I mean software based player (On the PC) I am aware that this wouldn't play on a stand alone DVD player, even before joinning them. Look you are missing the point here: I need to know if the file being split after joinning the two parts could be technicaly an issue?

Comment

• ElectRobert
                • Apr 2005

And if anyone who joined avi files, can check it with GSpot and tell me if the split section says "Yes" or "No".

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"I need to know if the file being split after joinning the two parts could be technicaly an issue?"

A quote from your 2nd post:

"Yes, it playes as if it was always one single avi file."

Again, you have established that the file(s) play fine in a software player. I'm still a bit confused as to what your overall objective is. I don't think there is a "Technical" issue here. Have you tested to see if the file plays OK in a few alternate software players?

Comment

• ElectRobert
                    • Apr 2005

I give up!

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

"I give up!"

That is certainly your prerogative. However, frustration will get you nowhere...

Comment

• ElectRobert
                        • Apr 2005

I think I explained what I need to know and I am hopping that someone else would read this and have an answer to where is that information in an avi file hiden that GSpot can detect and say the file is split or not. But what you are wondering is: Why I need to have the answer to this question" and that is not getting me anywhere.

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

To ElectRobert

"I successfully join 2 avi files using Vdub or avijoiner but when I check them with the Gspot it says 'Split: Yes'."

Although it shouldn't happen with files joined by VirtualDub, it's quite possible that AVIJoiner, which WILL join non-identical format .AVIs (VirtualDub WILL NOT), probably leaves remnants of the second file's header information (look for the word "Junk" - no joke) intact in the joined file...

Comment

• ElectRobert
                            • Apr 2005

Thank you Setarip, this explaines it. And yes I do see those Junk chunks in "Comments/Metadata" section. Even on both original files.
                            Now this is not important but by any chance do you know how to get rid of the junk chunks? I guess it should be removed from the original avi files first.
                            For the last join I used VirtualDubMod (1.5.10.1) Since it was used initialy to compress the avi file.

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

"For the last join I used VirtualDubMod"

And are you saying that GSpot identified the VirtualDub-joined .AVI as "having been joined"?

Comment

Working...