• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grinch
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Sep 2004

Old VCR Tape

I have been trying to convert an old VCR (wedding) tape to dvd. The tape has some color loss and appears to be produced with two or more VCR cameras. Some parts of the movie are ok but others poor. I have tried different programs to clean it up but nothing has worked well. Has anyone had success with improving the quailty of a VCR to DVD?

TurtleBeach PCI Advantage Capture Hardware
    Cyberlink and VDub software
  • Alien Bay
    Always learning
    • Oct 2004

Grinch,
    There's an article about doing that here
    I have the AVMedia DVD Maker that he's talking about (it's not $150). There is a brief mention about improving old media quality, but that is something I never had to do.

There is also a discussion about DVD standalone recorders and the potential problem with putting older, delicate tapes into newer devices.
    APOD

Comment

• Grinch
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Sep 2004

I think all my equipment is good and should be able to do the job.
      If I play the VCR tape on a stand alone player and a older TV the picture is ok to poor. I have transfered it to an AVI file. Encoded it with Nero, Used Shrink to size it then burn it with Nero. The new DVD plays but the picture on a LCD TV is not very good. Does the better quailty of the DVD and LCD Tv make the poor quailty of the film more noticeable?

Comment

• Alien Bay
        Always learning
        • Oct 2004

Not sure on that Grinch, but it's a very interesting question.
        APOD

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"The tape has some color loss"
          "I have transfered it to an AVI file"

You should be able to increase the color saturation in VIrtualDub, by using the "TV" filter and/or "levels" filter (both internal) or Donald Graft's "Red/Green/Blue" filter...

Comment

• Grinch
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Sep 2004

Working on getting better color by trying different settings. Thanks

Also:
            The picture gets very poor in some scences and better at others. It looks like it was made with at least two Cameras. I think that may be part of the problem with the quailty changes. If it is poor camera work can that be improved? Could it be two different cameras used to make the tape and why one set of adjustments doesn't seem to work?

I have tryed useing Cyberlink and VDub, capturing it directly in AVI and also tried with VDub in YUY2 (320X240) Format. Not one seems to help.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Working on getting better color by trying different settings. Thanks"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...