• Show
Clear All
  • kimomakano
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jun 2002

No audio on desktop player

Okay, I am at a loss.

I recently had a hard drive meltdown and had to replace it with a new one(everything else is fine so no need to replace the whole thing).

I have been transferring old VHS tapes to DVD for a while and had it pretty much down to an established routine. Now, though, something is amiss.

All of a sudden when I have finished the DVD and plop it into the standalone player, no audio. There is audible audio on the captured AVI file, ditto on the converted MPEG file, and even when I play the DVD back on my PC, it is there. But plop it in my Pioneer and nadda!!

I capture via an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Rage Pro in Home XP(SP2) using VirtualDub.

The captured AVI file is then run through TMPGenc and saved as an MPEG file.

From there I create a DVD VIDEO-TS folder using DVD Workshop.

Finally I burn it with Nero.

I have been doing this forever (seems like) and it has worked fine. I don't recall using any special audio settings or anything and my system is basically the same (sans the old hard drive).

Any ideas??
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Have you tried playing your DVD on another player - a friend or neighbours for example?

Could be just a lead has come out of the player. Sounds like it because as you say, the DVD playback on the PC is fine so the audio is in the VOB.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"But plop it in my Pioneer and nadda!!"

Do previously created DVDs still play with audio on the Pioneer?

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I don't recall using any special audio settings or anything and my system is basically the same"

Do you have the Pioneer running though a stereo system or are you using the TV's built-in speakers?

Comment

• kimomakano
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Jun 2002

Do you have the Pioneer running though a stereo system or are you using the TV's built-in speakers?
          Do previously created DVDs still play with audio on the Pioneer?
          The Pioneer is the same one I have been using all along. I don't have it going through a stereo system, just the TV speakers. Other DVDs play fine on the Pioneer so I don't think it could be any of the leads.

Thanks for taking a look. Oh I did have a friend try one on their standalone and they had the same issue.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I have been transferring old VHS tapes to DVD for a while and had it pretty much down to an established routine. Now, though, something is amiss"

"Oh I did have a friend try one on their standalone and they had the same issue."

"Other DVDs play fine on the Pioneer so I don't think it could be any of the leads."

Check your PC's audio-in settings. It sounds like you've inadvertently turned off/muted the "Line-In" or "Auxiliary" or whatever your setup uses for capturing input from an outside source...

"even when I play the DVD back on my PC"

Naah...
            Last edited by setarip; 17 May 2005, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• kimomakano
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Jun 2002

I did double check the audio settings and everything is okay.

After I create the MPEG file I am able to play it in Windows Media Player and it has audio.

And after I burn it I can play it with PowerDVD and the audio is fine.

But it just won't produce audio on my standalone. I am completely puzzled because it doesn't make sense. My wife thinks I am stupid (well, more than usual).

Comment

• Alien Bay
                Always learning
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by kimomakano
                I did double check the audio settings and everything is okay.

After I create the MPEG file I am able to play it in Windows Media Player and it has audio.

And after I burn it I can play it with PowerDVD and the audio is fine.

But it just won't produce audio on my standalone.
                Kimomakano,

re: your standalone DVD, assuming it's hooked up to a receive, could it be possible that there's something amiss on the reveiver/stereo component side?
                APOD

Comment

• kimomakano
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Jun 2002

your standalone DVD, assuming it's hooked up to a receive, could it be possible that there's something amiss on the reveiver/stereo component side
                  Thanks, but it is playing directly through the TV speakers. Other DVDs that I have backed up from VHS work just fine.

Maybe I need to call a priest?

Comment

• Alien Bay
                    Always learning
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by kimomakano
                    Thanks, but it is playing directly through the TV speakers. Other DVDs that I have backed up from VHS work just fine.

Maybe I need to call a priest?
                    Well, there are a few sorcerers here. Don't despair just yet.
                    APOD

Comment

• kimomakano
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • Jun 2002

"even when I play the DVD back on my PC"

Naah...
                      Honest. I even tried it several times.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

I just noticed, you're creating simple MPEG files, not standard "DVD packages".

What is the audio format of the MPEG?

Comment

• kimomakano
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Jun 2002

I just noticed, you're creating simple MPEG files, not standard "DVD packages".

What is the audio format of the MPEG?
                          Actually, I did both, the MPEG file was the second step. the DVD files were the third step (in DVD Workshop it creates the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders).

The audio format is:

MPEG audio layer 2 files
                          48000 Hz, 16 bit, stereo

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

1) "All of a sudden when I have finished the DVD and plop it into the standalone player, no audio."

"Oh I did have a friend try one on their standalone and they had the same issue."

Have you tried cranking up the volume - way up?

2) "in DVD Workshop it creates the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders"

Would you please try using "TMPGEnc DVD Author" instead? You can obtain a FULLY functional free 30 day trial version of this commercial program at:

TMPGEnc,DVD Author,tmpg,mpg,mpeg,encoder,TMPG,tmpgenc,Pegasys,TSUNAMI,authoring,digital,video,DVD-Video,AVI,converter,convert,movie,movies

3) Were your previous conversions also made with MPEG-1 Layer II audio - or .AC3? I ask because, technically, although almost universally acceptable, MPEG-1 Layer II audio is NOT compliant with DVD standards. It's remotely conceivable that you and your friend have the only two players in the world that don't playback MPEG-1 Layer II audio ;>} (Although I actually doubt that Pioneer would make such a player. Is your friend's player the same model as yours?)
                            Last edited by setarip; 17 May 2005, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• kimomakano
                              Platinum Member
                              Platinum Member
                              • Jun 2002

Have you tried cranking up the volume - way up?
                              Yes, all the way. There was some faint audio at full volume.

Would you please try using "TMPGEnc DVD Author" instead? You can obtain a FULLY functional free 30 day trial version of this commercial program at:
                              Okay, I will try it, but I have always had good success with DVD Workshop in the past.

Were your previous conversions also made with MPEG-1 Layer II audio - or .AC3?
                              Yes, they were all done as MPEG-1

Comment

Working...