X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lynn33
    • May 2005

Region Codes

Hi
    Does anyone know if a homemade recording on a DVD R has a region code. I have made one for my sons birthday but he is in China and I dont know if it will play on the machines they have there. A quick response would be greatly appreciated as I have to get it in the post.
    Many thanks.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

no region code
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• luminarti
      • May 2005

Hi, Just an extra question based on the one from lynn33
      Does that mean it will play regardless of burnt on a minus or plus disc??

Mark

Comment

• stevenmarkand
        • May 2005

A given machine may or may not play a given DVD-R or DVD+R disc but discs recorded on DVD recorders are region free. Regions were created by the MPAA primarilly to prevent people in Europe or Asia from viewing films released on DVD in North America (region 1) but not world wide.

Comment

• luminarti
          • May 2005

Thanks for that - I thought so - this is due to sony and another manufacturer not agreeing on a standard am i right?

Mark
          Luminarti

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

to luminarti

"Hi, Just an extra question based on the one from lynn33
            Does that mean it will play regardless of burnt on a minus or plus disc??"

yes, but you should always make sure you use media that is compatible with your burner/player(s). you can find this info at the bottom of my first post in this thread

p.s if that is your real name i wouldn't post it. you should delete it from your post
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• luminarti
              • May 2005

Hi thanks,

I did check that link - and very informative it was too - have bookmarked it for future.

My issue is my burner burns plus or minus - but i can rarely get info about what machine is in the venue I might be creating the disc for. My options are - go to venue to test a disc or burn a copy on plus and minus. Neither of these i'm happy with. Sometimes a person wants a disc to take to mulitpul venues - Surely then I need to give them both a plus and a minus??

And no Luminarti is my artist name

p.s. I do a wicked impression of columbo - but does not come accross very well over the net!

Mark
              Luminarti

Comment

• stevenmarkand
                • May 2005

Well, yes. Sort of. Disc compatibility is a long and complicated issue. Part of it has to do with two competing standards for recordable DVD's, +R and -R, but DVD player/DVD media compatability goes far beyond that.
                Some players just respond better to certain brands/types of DVD media.
                Predicting what discs will play on which player isn't really possible. If it plays it plays and if it doesn't, well...

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

To Luminarti

If your burner is capable of "bitsetting", your safest bet is to burn a DVD+R with the bit set. This is claimed to make the burned disc "seen" by DVD players as a DVD-ROM, same as commercial, pressed DVDs - and, therefore, playable by any standalone DVD player that bears the official "DVD" logo.

What is your burner's brand and model number?

If you don't know whether your specific burner is capable of bitsetting, use the link already provided by the esteemed "columbo999" - Enter your burner's model number and when the specific information appears, under the "Connection, Buffer, Bit" category, click on "More Info, technical"...
                  Last edited by setarip; 19 May 2005, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• luminarti
                    • May 2005

Thanks - this looks like the piece of info i've been looking for

Mark
                    Luminarti

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"Thanks - this looks like the piece of info i've been looking for"

My pleasure ;>}

Check that backlighting!

Comment

Working...