• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stormblade
    Video Editing Newbie
    • Jan 2002

Mpeg Playback Problem

Hey All,

Ok. I seem to be going back and forth. Earlier I had a problem viewing some files. Found out it was simply a missing codec that was the root of it all.

To fix that and others I used the Ace Mega Codec Pack. Installing this pack fixed all my prior problems. However, it created new ones. My playback of certain mpegs and such is choppy and sometimes it will freeze for seconds at a time when I seek.

I took one mpeg video where the playback was actually messy. I got video distortion and all sorts of things. Since I was using WMP 8 to view it I loaded it into Virtual Dub. It played it just fine. No choppy playback and no video problems. I loaded into Premiere and it too played it just fine. I exported it to an AVI and then tried playing the AVI back in WMP and is played just fine!

I KNOW it's a codec issue but can't figure out what to do to fix it. Any help with this would be most appreciated.
    My Awesome Computer System called Midnight
    The worth of your opinion is in direct proportion to the number of people who have asked for it.
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

I would not utilize WMP 8 to playback digital video. GDIVX, WMP 6.4, or Radlight. Also, you could unistall the ACE codec pack. You may consider the NIMO or TSUNAMI codec packs, as they seem to be quite popular. However, first change the player, as that seems to be the problem.

Comment

• Stormblade
      Video Editing Newbie
      • Jan 2002

Well I use 6.4 already for my avi files since I have some AVIs that are encoded with Mpeg4 v2 codec and WM8 won't play them and can't find a fix.

The player I don't think is the problem. Before I installed the ACE codec pack I had no problems with my mpegs. I was using the Nimo pack then. There were a couple of avis and such I was having problems with so I decided to try ACE Mega Codec pack. It fixed the other problems and installed codecs I didn't have and needed but then I started having the mpeg playback troubles.

However, if I could find a good player that would allow me to playback everything and that had a simple interface that allowed me to seek forward and backwards and to freely resize the video I'd switch.
      The worth of your opinion is in direct proportion to the number of people who have asked for it.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

You might want to try the extremely versatile (and low overhead) Sasami player...

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
          • Nov 2001

is that like sasami street?ha ha
          whats wrong with wmp6.4?
          isnt sasami just for avi?
          Last edited by johnbmx4christ; 20 Mar 2002, 09:24 PM.
          john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• Stormblade
            Video Editing Newbie
            • Jan 2002

Sasami is very nice. I like it. I too thought it played only AVIs but it played all the videos. I'd have to test it and see if it'll play AVIs that are "illegal" as in they use the Mpeg4 v2 codec and if it plays that and all the rest then I've found a new player.

BUT it didn't help my problem. Trying to play that video back it looked the same as if I'd tried playing it in WMP 8. I'm not surprised though because I'm fairly certain it was a codec issue and one that has appeared after I installed the ACE Mega codec pack.

The thing is the pack fixed way more than it broke so I'm reluctant to go back to Nimo which while I didn't have the mpeg playback problem I had several other problems. All of which are gone with the Ace mega pack but which caused some mpegs to play poorly and/or with serious distortion and artifacts. And they didn't play like that before. Virtual Dub and Premiere both play them back fine without any problems which is weird. TMPGEnc shows the same playback problems.

Comment

• Stormblade
              Video Editing Newbie
              • Jan 2002

The player is nice but since I've been playing with it, it has stopped resonding numerous times. I like it and all but it's not quite ready to replace Windows Media Players.

I use 6.4 to view AVIs because I can get it to play mpeg4 v2 files and I use version 8 to play everything else. I'll use Sasami to view maybe quicktime files since I don't like the quicktime player. If only it could also play real media files. I HATE real media's player.

Comment

Working...