Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fkncoj
    • Jun 2005

DVD burner problem.. broken?

I am having serious problems getting my DVD burner (NEC ND-3500A, recognized by windows 2k as "_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG SCSI CdRom Device") to burn a DVD. I have authored a DVD and have all the correct files:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_01_5.VOB

I am attempting to use nero 6.6.0.8. I select Video-DVD, drag the files into the VIDEO_TS folder, but when it goes to burn (I select 4x), the programs stops responding immediately while "cacheing files", and doesn't even make it to the write stage. I have to reboot to get nero to close. This does NOT produce a coaster, the DVD+R is still empty after. I am sure I have enough room to cache the files.. my c:\ drive has 5GB free.

I attempted to burn a DVD UDF, but the same thing happened.. froze while "Cacheing". I have burned Audio CDs with this burner and it works perfectly.

I thought perhaps this was a problem with nero, but I attempted to update my burners firmware from 2.16 to 2.19, but the program gives me an error. Does this sound like my burner is broken? .. it stills burns CD-Rs fine after this attempted firmware update.

The burner can read cds and DVDs fine, burn CD-Rs fine, and according to windows 2000, the hardware is working properly.

I have uninstalled all other burning software.
    Last edited by fkncoj; 10 Jun 2005, 10:35 AM.
  • Alien Bay
    Always learning
    • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by fkncoj
    I am sure I have enough room to cache the files.. my c:\ drive has 5GB free.
    Hey,

Are you sure that's enough? What are you trying to backup?

Also, you may want to analyze your c drive to see if it needs defraggin.
    APOD

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

In addition to the suggestions made by "Alien Bay", make certain that your "Recycle Bin" is empty. Additionally, if you are using Norton software, make sure that ITS "Recycle Bin" is empty.

I'm guessing you have a small hard drive. If you intend to be actively involved in DVD backups and other video and/or graphics activity, you should consider purchasing an additional, significantly larger hard drive. they can be had for a pittance nowadays...

If you have more questions, always feel free to ask them...

"Necessity is the Mother of Invention" - NOT a quote by Frank Zappa

Comment

• fkncoj
        • Jun 2005

thanks for the info.. I have a large HD but its mostly full. I have the temp folder in nero set to c:\temp. C drive now has 6gb free, which should be enough to cache a 4.23GB dvd correct? The files I am attempting to burn are on my F:\ drive, with 4.06GB free. nero is installed on d:\ which has ~1 GB free.

The thing is, its not like C:\ is filling up and thats why the program stops responding. Nero freezes pretty much immediately after I click "burn".

Comment

• Alien Bay
          Always learning
          • Oct 2004

Did you analyze to see if it's fragmented?
          APOD

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"C drive now has 6gb free, which should be enough to cache a 4.23GB dvd correct?"

Not necessarily - Your Windows Swap File may be reserving a good portion of what appears to be available space...

Comment

• fkncoj
              • Jun 2005

ok, I reinstalled nero on drive f:\. I set the nero temp folder to f:\temp. I freed up 6GB total on f:\.

so now nero, the input and temp folders are all on f:\.

I defragmented f:\.

Still freezing right away. I let it sit for awhile to see if it was actually cacheing files while "not responding", then reboot, looked in the temp folder and there was a 178k file, so nero is definitely just freezing when it tries to cache the files.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

1) Can you post the log of one of these attempts? It would be included in a file named "NEROhistory.log"...

2) Are you by any chance, using a copy of NERO that came bundled as a "freebie" with a different burner?

Comment

• cornholio7
                  Unavailable
                  • Jun 2005

"_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG SCSI CdRom
                  is this drive attatched through a scsi interface?
                  if not check your chipset drivers

Comment

• fkncoj
                    • Jun 2005

ok guys I figured out the problem.

I reformatted my c:\ drive a few months back, and I didn't install the VIA 4in1 IDE drivers for my mother board.. so basically, I had some crappy IDE drivers and DMA wasn't enabled on the DVD burner (in fact, DMA wasn't available at all). so I uninstalled the old, and installed the newest VIA IDE drivers, enabled DMA, and everything worked fine

also , the DVD is no longer recognized as a scsi device.

the DVD burned fine, and plays in my dvd player perfectly. thanks for all your input.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Congratulations on resolving your dilemma!

"thanks for all your input."

Bitteschoen (You're Welcome);>}

Comment

• Alien Bay
                        Always learning
                        • Oct 2004

ok guys I figured out the problem.

I reformatted my c:\ drive a few months back, and I didn't install the VIA 4in1 IDE drivers for my mother board.. so basically, I had some crappy IDE drivers and DMA wasn't enabled on the DVD burner (in fact, DMA wasn't available at all). so I uninstalled the old, and installed the newest VIA IDE drivers, enabled DMA, and everything worked fine

also , the DVD is no longer recognized as a scsi device.

the DVD burned fine, and plays in my dvd player perfectly. thanks for all your input.
                        Glad to hear fkncoj
                        APOD

Comment

Working...