Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charlizelip
    • Jun 2005

Video Enhancing

I have recently downloaded some videos files which are quite blur, is there any software that can make it clearer or nicer? Thanks
  • shulthise
    Professional Amateur
    • May 2003

While you're waiting for a pro to answer (not I) I suggest you try to download the video in another file/version. (Statistically the bigger the total file size is the better the quality, AVI better than MPG.)
    Also, try to run the video through a combination of the Sharpen and Contrast filters, but not too aggressivly (trial and error..)

Cheers
    Last edited by shulthise; 28 Jun 2005, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Usually, the old adages hold true regarding poor quality downloaded videos:

"You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear"

"You can't make gold from lead"

Comment

• shulthise
        Professional Amateur
        • May 2003

While I agree you can’t improve poor quality video dramatically, I have to point out that you can make the video “clearer or nicer“ as Charlizelip asked to. Actually, improving digital video is much like improving a digital photo – you improve raster image, only with video there’s a bunch of them in a sequence, and typically much smaller than a photo. Playing with a combination of Contrast/Gamma and Sharpen filter will improve a blurry photo or video, but not dramatically. So if you're experienced with photo improvements (and most of us did, using photo shop or just google's picasa) than you should have a clue how to approach a blurry video.

As for making gold out of led... People have tried, people are still trying – if you find a way to do this, please send me a personal message before you post it in the forum

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"but not dramatically"

That almost says it all - More often than not, it's not worth the effort, especially when downloading the work efforts of others...

Comment

• shulthise
            Professional Amateur
            • May 2003

Sometimes you just have no choice.
            It goes for both home users and big commercial money makers.

e.g.1:
            If you have some home video on video tape that is in bad shape, you can’t get it for somewhere else. If you want to preserve it, keep it safe, you have to go digital, and in the process you would like to improve the quality.
            e.g.2:
            When a Hollywood studio wants to preserve or redistribute an old movie, say a Charlie Chaplin oldie that is in bad shape, you can’t expect them to redistribute it in the bad condition the film is.. you have to re-master it. And you know they do it.

So, the technology should be out there. It’s just a matter of having the time to look for it, and the money to buy/use it.
            Last edited by shulthise; 29 Jun 2005, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Working...