How can I capture avi at 720x576?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gameshow Host
    • Mar 2002

> No it won't because it will have a black border of 40 either side (i.e. 40 left and 40 right) and a border of 48 top and 48 bottom giving you a total of 720x576.

Yes, the new image will be 720x576. But now the original image will be slightly distorted because hte pixels that make up the image will be "wider" than they used to be. When you watch a video that is 640x480 and fills the screen - it is obviously "screen-shaped". When you put a border around it to make it 720x576, the whole image now fits the screen, but the original image is now slightly wider than it used to be, because its pixels are now wider. If you look at a 640x480 image on a 4:3 screen then its pixels are perfectly square, but if you look at a 720x576 image on a 4:3 screen, its pixels are slightly wider than square.

The link you gave seems a little irrelevant to waht we're talking about here. Mainly because it's not even about video grabbing, but also it's about converting to DivX, which is only for Internet streaming, not for home use. But I had a read anyway. The person says he or she clips 8 pixels off either side of his or her movies because there are blank areas around the edge of the video picture. This makes sense. All video pictures have blank around the edge, but on a TV this area usually isn't visible. If you're transferring video to be watched on a TV then you should leave this alone (otherwise you're gonna distort the picture and lose quality) however in this case the person is not watching it back on a TV, rather on a computer, and the computer shows ALL the movie (there are no hidden edges on a computer screen) so it makes sense to clip the ugly black edges off the movie. However, chopping off edges of a movie (whether to play on a PC or a TV) will slightly distort the movie, unless you calculate how many pixels to crop very precisely, which he or she hasn't done.

Comment

• Ndb
      • Mar 2002

I can't explain anymore as I'm off for something a little less of a strain. Here's a link of capturing at 720x576 with any capture card, even a std TV card: http://www.vcdhelp.com/mjpeg.htm

The site also has stuff on ATi AIW cards.

Comment

• Gameshow Host
        • Mar 2002

Thanks, nice talking to you. Bonk you on the head with a mallet later!

Comment

• Vidbox
          • Nov 2001

702x576 Not 720x576 on ATI 128 AIW

With ATI TV-cards the record aperture is affected my your motherboard and CPU. (Place the same card on a Intel instead of a AMD and watch the record aperture shift in size. Shift for a P3 to a P4, or Athlon c to a Athlon XP, and watch the record aperture shift in size.)

I've got 4 different TV cards on 4 different PC's, Oh the Joy!

Comment

Working...