X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • booowarrar
    • Jul 2005

Problemo with video capture

Hey what's up?

I've pieced together a 10 minute movie with windows movie maker using my samsung mini DV NTSC. After viewing it a few times, I wanted to spice the quality and frame rate up some.

So, here's the first problem, I downloaded about three or four demos of different video editing softwares, they come with ALL features of the full product. So anyways, about 3 of have the "video-capture" feature, and EVERY time I try to capture a video it says my DV device is offline. However, in Windows movie maker, it's online. I don't get it...

Second thing. Is there ANY way to go above a 30 frame rate? Anything I can download, or something I need to do?

Lastly, what can I use to increase the image quality?

Thanks!
    Last edited by booowarrar; 7 Jul 2005, 02:21 PM.
  • shulthise
    Professional Amateur
    • May 2003

wanted to spice the quality and frame rate up some
    What do you mean by quality ? Spice up the video/audio with effects, play with the color, contrast, etc ? If not, and the captured video looks right, than this is as good as it gets – don’t try to play with the quality.

Second thing. Is there ANY way to go above a 30 frame rate? Anything I can download, or something I need to do?
    There’s no use to increasing frame rate beyond 25 frames per second – your eye just doesn’t notice it.
    Also – if your camcorder produces interlaced video (which it probably does) than you would be happy to know that your video is actually a 60 frame video.. sort of.. :-\ errrr......
    Trying to change the frame rate or deinterlace the video will result in quality reduction. So it is important that you capture the video with the same frame rate the video equipment uses, and keep the interlaced/progressive mod the video was shot with.
    Last edited by shulthise; 8 Jul 2005, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• shulthise
      Professional Amateur
      • May 2003

Lastly, what can I use to increase the image quality?
      If the video was shot in poor lighting condition, you might want to increase the gamma settings.
      If the video is somewhat gray, like with a cloudy day – try to increase the contrast or gamma, and up some the color saturation (kind of like the National Geographic saturated high-contrast videos/photos) – just don’t exaggerate.

However, be advised that each device you play the video on will give you different results – meaning that each and every computer monitor, tv, or portable media player would display the video with different color, contrast, lighting and quality.

For example – TV devices typically have high contrast, lighting and color saturation settings, much higher that what you’ll have with typical PC monitor. So you can try to adjust the contrast according to your PC monitor, later to find yourself going blind against the TV...

So my advice is that unless the original video does really needs improvement you should just leave it as is.
      Last edited by shulthise; 8 Jul 2005, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

"Lastly, what can I use to increase the image quality"

although some filters do help with some problems alot of times their is a trade-off for something else. the old saying garbage in garbage out. Always try to get the best quality from the best source.

Comment

Working...