Odd Disk Test Results.... should I toss this disk?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ulTRAX
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Jan 2005

Odd Disk Test Results.... should I toss this disk?

I run a 4X Nero DVD Speed test on every backup disk I make...

But I've been getting some strange results. This last disk was max PIE = 58 and max PIF = 2.... but the disk speed, rather than stay constant, drops to zero.

This happened once before but the speed drop was not there on the second test. Same with this second disk. So do I toss the disk? Or is something wrong with the test or the drive?
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Does it play ok in the DVD player? If it does, then don't toss it.

That test doesn't alway produce a will play or not play result.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

ultrax

nwg:

"That test doesn't alway produce a will play or not play result."

that is for damn sure, i had tested a known bad disc and it said it was a-ok!
      watch the discs, don't waste your time testing and playing with nero.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

The read error test in DVDinfoPro is the same. Sure, it is nice to see all gree blocks in the test. I have had Memorex +RW 's have hundreds of errors in the last few hundred MB. The disc still played fine and all the files copied of the disc ok back onto the computer.

The only way to be sure is to watch the disc. I don't care what these tests come up with.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

"The only way to be sure is to watch the disc. I don't care what these tests come up with."

here here
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• mastercontrol
            • Jun 2005

I think that different players have different levels of sensitivity to errors on discs. What looks fine on one player could show the problems on another.

I always do a CRC read error with DVDInfoPro, and any disc that has read errors (which only ever happened to me with some crappy Riteks) will be redone on another disc. I don't do any other tests than that (and watching it on my DVD player). I don't bother with any of the PI, PO and jitter testing. As long as all the sectors of the disc are readable, that's all I care about.

Comment

• ulTRAX
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by mastercontrol
              I think that different players have different levels of sensitivity to errors on discs. What looks fine on one player could show the problems on another.
              I know there's a big difference between my 4 year old DVD ROM drive and my new Sony DVD burner. Often Shrink has problems reading a disk on the old drive. When I run the same disk on the new drive Irarely have a problem.

I always do a CRC read error with DVDInfoPro, and any disc that has read errors (which only ever happened to me with some crappy Riteks) will be redone on another disc. I don't do any other tests than that (and watching it on my DVD player). I don't bother with any of the PI, PO and jitter testing. As long as all the sectors of the disc are readable, that's all I care about.
              I gave up on the CRCs tests when some disks I knew to play fine kept coming up with read errors. But now that I'm doing the PIE/PIF testing I'm not sure what to make of test results there.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To ulTRAX

"I know there's a big difference between my 4 year old DVD ROM drive and my new Sony DVD burner. Often Shrink has problems reading a disk on the old drive. When I run the same disk on the new drive Irarely have a problem."

Try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your old DVD-ROM. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

Working...